Brooke Hargett's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Sep 02, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The second book in Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy kept me turning pages the whole time. I don't know why I can't seem to put his books down! Even though he is heavy on description and has a MILLION Swedish names that I can't ever seem to keep straight, I still loved it.

I think one thing is that his main characters are very well developed, and so you feel like you know them and are rooting for them. Lisbeth Salander is also just such a different kind of girl that even though I don't identify with her at all, I am really intrigued by her.

The story is very complex, which can be good or bad, but in this case it works. I think that I was pulled in so deep because there are so many layers to it. You do have to be paying attention though, or you can get lost. It is also good to read his books in a short timeframe because if you are forgetting characters or what's going on, you will never make it through. This book also has content that could make sensitive readers uncomfortable.

I watched the first two movies afterwords, which kind of helped me solidify some characters in my head (I'm telling ya there are sooo many its confusing). I actually turned off the first one in the middle- during the rape scene- it was just too much for me imagine really happening. But after I finished the second book, I went back and just skipped the end of that scene to see the end. Of course the movies aren't able to capture the characters like the book but it was good to get an overview of the main plot. It was also interesting to see what things they chose to leave in and the items they thought could be left out or altered a bit. I have heard that they are making American versions of it, so that will be interesting.

I'm so sad for the author that he died of a heart attack before he was able to get any of the books published. They are all very lengthy books and he must have spent forever on them.

Loved the book- the plot in this one was an intriguing as the first one, which is always hard to keep going in a trilogy. I didn't hesitate purchasing the final book to read. The end of the first one spent a lot of time setting things up for this second book, which I didn't really like, and he didn't do that in this one. The end of this one cliff-hangs you so I was glad I already had the third one waiting.

I know I will be sad to have the trilogy end without any possibility of the characters going on to another book. My respects to Stieg Larsson, for a gripping second book that leaves you bolting for the third.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

September 2, 2010 – Started Reading