Laurie's Reviews > In the Zone

In the Zone by Catherine Gayle

Steamy Sports Romance with A Powerful Message--

By the middle of the first chapter of "In The Zone," I knew this book would have a sexy edge and important message.

Brie is a plus-sized heroine because she develops a thyroid issue, causing her to continue to overweight despite her diet restrictions. She keeps her insecurities well hidden, under frumpy clothes and a sweet spirit while teaching dance classes. Her former partner dumped her because of her weight (he was an ass) and to say her spirit had been broken by his emotional abuse would be sugarcoating it.

So she puts an ad in on Craigslist to hook up for the night with someone who could make her feel desirable. Most would think this to be "pathetic" or "desperate" behavior. But when you read the story, you'll see the author's voice only betrays this act of so-called desperation as a genuine act of Brie proactively dealing with low self-esteem. I thought she was brave.

Kieth ("Burnzie"), is a beast. The magnitude of his character within this book is amazing. He loves his family but deals with doubt from a painful past tragedy concerning one of his brothers. I loved how he took a teammate under his wing, how he gently guided Brie into a better place emotionally by being an excellent friend, and how he's always thinking of others before himself. He stole my heart.

I probably don't need to say this book is off the charts hot because there is more depth than meets the eye. "In The Zone" offers great insight into dealing with grief, mental health issues, and recovery. But I'll let you decide for yourself if this one is a winner. It was for me, for sure!!

-- Laurie Kozlowski
www.bookescapereviews.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Zone.

February 10, 2015 – Shelved