Jim's Reviews > American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields

American Terroir by Rowan Jacobsen

M 50x66

bookshelves: giveaways

Another great book courtesy of Goodreads Giveaway and the friendly publishers at Bloomsbury USA!

I confess that when I first entered the drawing for this title I was thinking like a typical citizen of the USA - I read "American Terroir" and thought it would be limited to the fifty states. Rowan Jacobsen's definition includes all of the Americas and he even strays beyond those limits. If I want to follow in his footsteps I'll have to leave my motorcycle at home and start racking up frequent flier miles.

The key word in the title is "flavors." It's not just about different things impacting your taste buds. The word flavor is meant to include the food, the place its grown, and the people who make it happen. From the Eskimos who rely on Yukon salmon to survive, to the lady who insisted that the author taste dozens of types of honey while the bees buzzed around his face, you get the full flavor of the production process - and that's terroir.

Jacobsen keeps the story so lively and fast paced that you hardly notice you're being taught history, geology, chemistry, and a host of other subjects that would bore you to tears if you had to take them on individually.

After each chapter covers a different food from a different area it ends with a a few recipes and the appropriate URL and phone number for the suppliers. How's that for complete?

Some people write well but have little to say. Some books are full of facts but lack a good story. Rowan Jacobsen is a writer who goes out into the field and finds great stories and then packs them with educational information. I'll be looking for more of his books asap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Terroir.

September 2, 2010 – Shelved