Alan Moore's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

Feb 10, 2015

Dune is simply one of the greatest science fiction books ever written. At its most basic foundations, the story follows the spiritual, physical, and mental growth of the hero, Paul. You could see it as a parable for growing into adulthood, but that might doscount the deliciousness of multifaceted plot.

The struggle of the characters is almost Shakespearean. The hero is betrayed, his father killed, and his people displaced or destroyed as he barely escapes death on multiple occasions. Paul then finds his place in a covert society while transcending himself. He finally returns with such vengeance, the end result is far beyond most vengeful people could imagine.

The language can take some time to understand. However, it isn't as complicated as some people find. I didn't have any trouble.

If you're a fan of Science Fiction, Dune is a must-read!

Also, please discount the David Lynch Dune movie. It is so bad, I can't even comment on just how bad it is and do it proper justice. I hope someday a talented director will actually take this masterpiece of a book and do it correctly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

February 10, 2015 – Shelved