Shirley Ford's Reviews > Sleepyhead

Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham

Feb 10, 2015

Amazon offered this novel as one of a selection of free books. I knew nothing about the author and chose Sleepyhead just because it seemed the best one on offer. I made a good choice, the story was excellent, I didn't want to put it down. Sleepyhead is the author’s debut novel featuring DI Tom Thorne. A psychopath has murdered several women. One woman, Allison, survives but has locked-in syndrome, so she is mentally aware, but unable to move or speak. What is the killer’s real motive? Tom Thorne believes he knows who has committed these crimes, but is unable to prove it. He clashes with his superiors and colleagues over his fixation with the suspect. It interferes with a budding relationship with the doctor caring for Allison. I particularly liked how the author dealt with locked-in syndrome, very sad, but also amusing in parts. All the way through, you think that Thorne is gradually getting nearer to proving his case and then! A totally unexpected ending. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading more of Mark Billingham’s books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepyhead.

Started Reading