Floris Pol's Reviews > It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences

It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences by June Casagrande

M 50x66

'It was the best of sentences, it was the worst of sentences: a writer's guide to crafting killer sentences' delivers it promise, to a certain degree. The book certaintly helped me write better sentences, that part of her mission was succesful. But to say I now write killer sentences, not really. I still have a long way to go, but June Casagrande's book proved a solid stepping stone on my way.

The book tries to approach the 'boring' subject of grammer in a conversational style. She speaks to the reader and tries to show how fun grammar can be, with examples of sentences that totally failed and ended up saying something completely different than the author wanted to say.

A few times she went a little overboard with her style and attempts at humor, but overall I quite liked the tone of voice.

The author uses different examples to illustrate why some sentences work and others don't. She explains really well how to improve these latter sentences and often shows multiple ways of 'fixing' a horrendous sentence. So if your sentences suck or they aren't yet as good as you want them, then I'd recommend this book to you. However be warned, the book really is only about sentences. She tells nothing about the flow of multiple sentences, how to build paragraphs out of sentences, etc. I find this a shame, because she only studies the sentences in isolation and a sentence hardly ever stands alone in practice.

Let's be honest, most of us do not write one sentence books, one sentence reviews or one sentence emails. Unless it is to that annoying spammer who won't leave you alone and you tell him to go fuck himself. With her laser focus, only studying the sentence in isolation, Casagrande thus loses the context of a sentence: A sentences stands between other sentences. How do these interact? What makes a combination of sentences a good read? Sadly these questions remained unanswered. I'd really have liked more focus on the sentence out of isolation.

Thank you for your book June. My ability to write clear sentences has improved, but I still have a longer way to go before I write killer sentences.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences.

Finished Reading