Geri Reads's Reviews > Rebel

Rebel by Callie Hart

liked it

3.5 rebel stars!

Well, color me intrigued and hooked. Rebel is the first book from Callie Hart's Dead Man's Ink series. This is a spin off of her Blood & Roses series, and while the series is connected, there is no need to read Blood & Roses for readers to enjoy this book. I haven't read her other series but I still enjoyed this one. And just based from my experience with this book, I am definitely reading the Blood & Roses series.

While this book follows a mostly common captive story, it's still different in the way the author was able to present it. Yes, it has very dark undertones but there are some weirdly lighthearted moments.

But what really made this book an enjoyable one for me was the development of Rebel and Sophia. There wasn't anything insta about it. There is definitely an attraction between them but I liked that the author didn't focus on it too much. She actually went to patiently build up this world and each of her characters. I really, really appreciated that. Most of the time, once the hero and heroine meets, the story and character development takes and backseat to the couples attraction for each other.

I was shocked at the ending though. I expected a cliffhanger but I was unprepared by how abrupt it was. I thought I was missing pages or something. I actually wanted it to continue until I get some answers, but no answers yet.

The only reason I rated it 3.5 and not a full four is because this felt too introductory to me. It didn't feel settled it. Just when things got interesting, the proverbial carpet got yanked out from under me. But don't be fooled, this book and this whole series is definitely worth starting.

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel.

February 10, 2015 – Started Reading
February 10, 2015 – Shelved
February 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Great review Geri, I'll have to check these out!

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Montoya Nice review darling. xx

message 3: by Vee (new)

Vee Paige Great review, Geri! I was intrigue by Rebel and Sophia in Blood and Roses and I'm really glad they were getting a book. I'm going to wait for the series to be complete before I read this. :)

message 4: by Mo (new) - added it

Mo Nice review, Geri.

Geri Reads Vee wrote: "Great review, Geri! I was intrigue by Rebel and Sophia in Blood and Roses and I'm really glad they were getting a book. I'm going to wait for the series to be complete before I read this. :)"

Thanks, Vee! I haven't read Blood & Roses yet, Vee but I can't wait to dive into it. :D

Geri Reads Dee wrote: "Nice review darling. xx"

Thanks, Dee.

Pattrycia So it's got a cliffy? Awesome review Geri!

Geri Reads Karen wrote: "Great review Geri, I'll have to check these out!"

Thanks, Karen. :)

Aisling Zena Great review Geri :)

Geri Reads Mo wrote: "Nice review, Geri."

Thanks, Mo.

Geri Reads Aisling Zena wrote: "Great review Geri :)"

Thanks, Aisling. :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Geri! xx

Arabella ~♡AB♡~ Fab review, Geri x

Geri Reads Cathy~❤️ wrote: "Great review, Geri! xx"

Thanks, Cathy.

Geri Reads Arabella ~♡AB♡~ wrote: "Fab review, Geri x"

Thank you, AB.

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time Great review Geri!

~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~ Great review Geri =) I'm excited to start this series but maybe I'll wait for book 2 :)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, Geri!:)

Patrycja Great review :-)

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kyle Terrific review, Geri xx

message 22: by NinaReader (new)

NinaReader Great review Geri!!!

message 23: by Izy (new)

Izy Great review Geri! :)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Fantastic review Geri! Glad you enjoyed :)

Eliza Great review, Geri!x

message 26: by * Meli Mel * (new)

* Meli Mel * FAB review, Geri!! :))

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Great review Geri! Hoping to get to this one soon xx

message 28: by Kristen (last edited Feb 11, 2015 12:07PM) (new) - added it

Kristen Awesome review, Geri. I've been meaning to read the Blood and Roses series for months. I think I'll start with those books first, then start this one. Hopefully by then, the next book will be out. ❤️

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Great review, woman! If you liked this one, definitely give B&R a try ;)

message 30: by S.M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.M. West Great review, Geri! xx

message 31: by Yomi M. (new)

Yomi M. Nice review Geri :)

message 32: by Dijya (new) - added it

Dijya Superb review Geri:DD

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Wonderful review, Geri!!

Christie«SHBBblogger» Wonderful review, Geri! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really need to check this author out. xx

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog FAB review, Geri!! :)
xoxoxo

Geri Reads J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie* wrote: "Great review Geri!"

Thanks, J!

Geri Reads ~ Stéphanie ~ wrote: "Great review Geri =) I'm excited to start this series but maybe I'll wait for book 2 :)"

Me too, Stephanie. I wanna know what happens next so bad. :/

Geri Reads Christie«SHBBblogger» wrote: "Wonderful review, Geri! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really need to check this author out. xx"

Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️ and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "FAB review, Geri!! :)
xoxoxo"

Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Wonderful review, Geri!!"

Dijya ♡o。(๑◕ฺ‿ฺ◕ฺ๑)。o♡ wrote: "Superb review Geri:DD"

Yomi Milanesa wrote: "Nice review Geri :)"

Suzanne wrote: "Great review, Geri! xx"

Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper* wrote: "FAB review, Geri!! :))"

Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥ wrote: "Fantastic review Geri! Glad you enjoyed :)"

Izy wrote: "Great review Geri! :)"

NinaReader wrote: "Great review Geri!!!"

Jennifer wrote: "Terrific review, Geri xx"

Penelope wrote: "Fab review, Geri! :))"

Patrycja wrote: "Great review :-)"

Arianna wrote: "Great review, Geri!:)"

Thanks everyone!

Geri Reads Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Great review Geri! Hoping to get to this one soon xx"

Thanks, Feifei. I hope you enjoy!

Geri Reads Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Awesome review, Geri. I've been meaning to read the Blood and Roses series for months. I think I'll start with those books first, then start this one. Hopefully by then, the next book will be out. ❤️"

Thanks, Kristen. I've been hearing some good things about that series as well. I'll probably finish this one out before starting that one though. :)

Geri Reads Lkay ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ wrote: "Great review, woman! If you liked this one, definitely give B&R a try ;)"

Thanks, Lana. I really should. Book one and two are already on Kindle. :)

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ Great review, Geri xx

message 43: by Taralinda (new) - added it

Taralinda Love your review Geri! I've had this on my TBR, but now I'm extra tempted to read it!

Amy | Foxy Blogs Great review, Geri ♥

message 45: by Rag (new) - added it

Rag Great review Geri!!

Karinloos I read the Blood and Roses series first and its brilliant. It has strong ties to this one in fact its about Alexis (Sophie) sister and her quest to find her lost sister