Kari Trumbo's Reviews > Term Limits

Term Limits by Vince Flynn

Congressman Michael O’Rourke is a newly-elected representative of Minnesota. He goes into politics to change the way things are done in D.C. On the eve of a big vote, three statesmen are murdered by assassins and O’Rourke soon finds himself thick in the plot. The assassins are revolutionaries that have ideas about Washington similar to O’Rourke, but with a whole different plan to promote change.
This book has the same characterization of politicians as I do, they are untrustworthy, lying, cheating, power-hungry, megalomaniacs. This book was published in 1998, it was written the year I got married, 1997. The scary part? Government hasn’t changed a bit. This is a work of fiction but reads like it isn’t because of the natural distrust that the average American has for our political leaders.
Term Limits doesn't leave you guessing as to who the villain is. It's obvious from the get-go. The beauty of it is how, if you choose to, you can look deeper. Who do you really identify with in the story, if anyone at all? I also liked that, even though the two-party system is mentioned, Flynn never mentions the political party of any of the characters. You are left to make your own assumptions. Frankly, that they are both the same. Party no longer really matters, they both want the same thing, power and more of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Term Limits.

Started Reading