Terence's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

23206148

liked it
Recommended for: people who fondly remember the '80s

You’re I'm not quite evil geeky enough. You’re semi-evil I'm semi-geeky. You’re quasi-evil I'm quasi-geeky. You’re I'm the margarine of evil geeky. You’re I'm the Diet Coke of evil geeky, just one calorie, not evil geeky enough.

I'm not even easily identified as a geek. If I was walking down the street you couldn't point me out as a geek. After talking about superheroes in high school a friend of mine called me a mimic because I could fit in with any group.

I bring this up because it's likely a large reason Ready Player One didn't resonate with me as it did with so many of my full fledged geeky friends. I'm just not quite geeky enough. Another big reason is that I was only a little kid in the '80s so a lot of the references were lost on me.

Ready Player One was a slow starter for me. The standard dystopia future and the large info dumps were annoying. If I had to rate the story at that point I would've given it 2 stars. I wasn't all that into the story until about 100 pages were left and then I couldn't put the book down. At that point most of the info dumps and standard dystopia future references had vanished so it helped me finally get into what was happening. I would've given the last hundred pages 4 or 4.5 stars.

The massive online world of OASIS sounded really interesting and it wasn't hard to see how that could get addictive. If such a game existed even scaled down for today's gaming systems I don't think I could resist picking it up and playing it like crazy.

Ready Player One had some really enjoyable moments. I imagine someone who remembers the '80s well would enjoy far more than me because of its reverence to the '80s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

February 9, 2015 – Shelved
February 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 14, 2015 – Started Reading
April 14, 2015 –
page 27
7.22% "So resources are scarce and repaired laptops are valuable commodities yet students have school issued OASIS consoles and gear... Oh dystopian futures how they make my head hurt."
April 14, 2015 –
page 30
8.02% "How can anyone be broke and overweight in a world where most people are starving? Sitting around all day barely eating wouldn't get the job done."
April 15, 2015 –
page 142
37.97% "Why do characters insist on poking a bear with a stick as if that will kill it?"
April 16, 2015 –
page 209
55.88% "This should really be called Ready for Info Dump Player One?"
April 16, 2015 –
page 304
81.28% "Things have picked up and improved drastically."
April 17, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Damian Dubois That's a great review you've written there, Terence. Have you heard the news that this is going to be made into a movie by none other than Mr Spielberg?

Terence Damian wrote: "That's a great review you've written there, Terence. Have you heard the news that this is going to be made into a movie by none other than Mr Spielberg?"

Thanks Damian. I believe I just noticed that on Wikipedia the other day. It seems like it would make an outstanding movie especially with Spielberg at the helm.

Damian Dubois Speaking of movies, are you a Star Wars fan and have you seen the new trailer?

Terence Damian wrote: "Speaking of movies, are you a Star Wars fan and have you seen the new trailer?"

I am a Star Wars fan and the new trailer looks astonishing.

seak Great review. I was a mimic in school as well. I hung out with pretty much every crowd at one point and depending on the week. My geekiness, however, has definitely grown as I've gotten older, but I can definitely see that affecting your view of this book. My inner geek was like "I'm geeking out sooo much" through this book. :D

Joel I totally get where you're coming from with everything you've said along the way with this book. I too felt it had some obvious flaws, and to someone who didn't find the references endearing, it would wear thin a bit. I agree that the ending was great - the book caught me first, got a bit flat, then really took off towards the end.

I enjoyed it more than you, but the reasons for that make sense to both of us. Cheers.

Also @Seak - you're a geek. Face it.

Terence seak wrote: "Great review. I was a mimic in school as well. I hung out with pretty much every crowd at one point and depending on the week. My geekiness, however, has definitely grown as I've gotten older, but ..."

Thanks. By high school I was generally a quasi geek. I liked watching cartoons (DBZ, Beast Wars transformers, X-Men, Batman, The Justice league), reading comics, and playing games like Final Fantasy 7 too much not to be somewhat a geek. At the same time I didn't read books for fun and I hadn't even heard of The Lord of the Rings until I was in high school.

Joel wrote: "I totally get where you're coming from with everything you've said along the way with this book. I too felt it had some obvious flaws, and to someone who didn't find the references endearing, it wo..."

I tore through the last 100 pages and finished reading early in the morning. The last 100 pages felt like a different book to me. If the references were of the '90s geekdom I would've been hooked just as much I'm sure.

seak Also @Seak - you're a geek. Face it.
Fact. :)

Terence seak wrote: "Also @Seak - you're a geek. Face it.
Fact. :)

@Terence - Great cartoons, I totally watched those, played some pokemon and blazed through LotR in about a week in High School. Blew my mind."

I only played the pokemon on my brothers game boy. I did watch that cartoon a bit, but I never liked it that much.

[Name Redacted] I remember the 1980s keenly and vividly and my overall impression of this book was that it was written by a man who either hated everything he referenced, or is ashamed that he loved it and so wrote a book mocking it so the "popular kids" of today would like him. A profound self-hatred, basically. :P

Terence [Name Redacted] wrote: "I remember the 1980s keenly and vividly and my overall impression of this book was that it was written by a man who either hated everything he referenced, or is ashamed that he loved it and so wrot..."

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I can definitely see how hate and embarrassment could be the book's motivation.