Jan C's Reviews > Twilight at the World of Tomorrow : Genius, Madness, Murder, and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of War

Twilight at the World of Tomorrow  by James Mauro

Feb 23, 2018

liked it
bookshelves: ny, wwii, true-crime, 2018

I ran kind of hot and cold on this one. There were interesting factoids - I had no idea that Heinz started as a pickle king! Or that Einstein wasn't asked to assist on the Manhattan Project because some nut jobs determined/decided that he would not be a loyal American citizen. He became a citizen during the course of the last year of the Fair.

I appreciated the machinations regarding putting on the Fair, Grover Whelan (official greeter of NYC), Robert Moses, etc. Too bad about the cops but I would have appreciated more information about the bombing, the police work to find the perpetrator - the reward is still out there, still unsolved.

I liked the description of the Futurama exhibit - I well remember going to Futurama at the 1964 New York World's Fair, at the same location.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight at the World of Tomorrow .

September 1, 2010 – Started Reading
September 1, 2010 – Shelved
September 1, 2010 – Shelved as: ny
September 1, 2010 – Shelved as: wwii
September 1, 2010 – Shelved as: true-crime
February 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
February 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Hutchinson Sounds interesting.

Jan C It was but I thought the author may have spent a little too much time on the NYC politics of putting on the Fair. I would have liked more information on the search for the bombers.