Chrissie's Reviews > Fish: A History of One Migration

Fish by Peter Aleshkovsky

bookshelves: estonia, soviet-union, hf, text-checked, kindle, maybe, tajikistan

This is currently (2014-04-29) available on Kindle for only 4 or 5 USD, but the sample was so depressing I couldn't push myself to buy it. If I buy it I must read it now, and I don't want to. I don't pile up a million unread books any more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fish.

September 1, 2010 – Shelved
March 11, 2011 – Shelved as: kindle
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: not-for-me
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: maybe
April 28, 2014 – Shelved as: tajikistan

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily This sounds fantastic!

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I will tell you what is a teeny bit worrying me. I did not like the bits I could read from his books Kangaroo and Skunk, I think that was the title.... But they are very different stories. I cannot find the text anywhere for this one, Fish. I am intrigued enough to give it a chance without checking the text. amazon has it. Book Depository, which is much cheaper, only has the other two. I don't want to read them!

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Hmm. I will have to go research this author a bit more and see what I can find. Hopefully you will run across this one somewhere for a decent price. Surely you will get around to reading it before me so I think I might just wait and see what you think about his writing before I start it (unless I stumble across it at the local discount/used book store).

message 4: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Odrach Thanks for the recommendation, looks good. Will see if my library carries it.

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Erma, it looks very good. Maybe it even won the Russian Booker Prize. I cannot remember exactly. I am a bit worried about the prose style. I hope Amazon will soon have a bit to test read.

message 6: by Erma (last edited Dec 10, 2010 10:35AM) (new) - added it

Erma Odrach Library has it on order, so it might be a while. I'll just wait on this one. Male author but written in first person female narrative? Don't usually like first-person stories, unless they're bios or autobios. A man writing as a woman - interesting to see if he pulls it off.

Lisa Hayden Espenschade Chrissie, Fish was a Russian Booker finalist in 2006 but did not win. (Olga Slavnikova's 2017, which has also been translated, won that year.)

Also, Kangaroo was written by the other Aleshkovskii, Yuz.

Happy reading!

message 8: by Erma (new) - added it

Erma Odrach So, now I'm on a bit of an Aleshkovsky(ii) binge, both Peter and Yuz. And while I'm at it Olga Slavnikova. Thanks for the info Lisa.

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Lisa, thank you for straightening me out. I should pay better attention. What was worrying me is that I didn't like the snippets I read of Kangaroo or Skunk, by the Yuz author. I think it was Amazon that let you look inside.

Erma, another person brought up the fact that the Aleshkovsky, Peter, DID manage to write a 1st person narrative of a woman and supposedly remarkably well.