Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > Involuntary Witness

Involuntary Witness by Gianrico Carofiglio

Sep 01, 2010

bookshelves: awards-winners, genre-crime-thriller, location-europe-italy
Read from September 01 to 02, 2010

Having caught up on the Montalbano series, I searched for another Italian based procedural series and discovered Carofiglio, an anti-Mafia prosecutor from Bari. This locale is important to the story of his debut novel as it is a seaside resort located on the back heel of Italy's boot. It is a worthy debut, but Caroliglio would benefit from adopting Camilleri's style a bit, employing less of his central character's private life and focusing more closely on the situation at hand. I found myself skimming through the tribulations of Guido's love life to get to the meat of the trial and the mystery surrounding the death of a young boy, the crime for which his Senegalese client is charged. That his client is innocent is evident from the start, his reasons for incarceration disturbing and sad. I was surprised to discover the breadth of racial blindness and prejudice present in Italy plus the workings of their court system. Because those parts of the book were so compelling, I'll continue with the series, hoping that Guido's personal life takes more of a back seat to the legal proceedings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Involuntary Witness.