Juan Valera's Reviews > Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

First and foremost, let it be said that I am reading a book intended for someone half my age. Artemis Fowl is the kind of book that grabs a kid by the eyeballs because of the pretty, shiny cover. But once the cover's open and the story laid out, Artemis Fowl is an incredibly gripping story about growing up, equality and acceptance. This was exactly the case when I first read Artemis Fowl; I immediately loved the intelligent, resourceful, but ultimately unhappy Artemis. A better character a teenager could not have asked for: Smart enough to forgo schooling for months at a time, rich beyond my (then considerable, now perhaps less so) imagination, and he was searching for a world of magic and fairies that every kid wants to believe in.

It surprises me that even now, a decade later, the book still absorbs my imagination. "Artemis Fowl" taught me a little about writing for your audience exactly because the book is just as enjoyable and relatable as it was before. It's important to write with an audience in mind; Colfer here writes for children, and the child in me recognizes it. The spark of imagination that wants to believe in fairies and gnomes and magic rejoices. If only you could make all writing this lovable, simply by writing for an audience instead of to it. Oh, wait. You can!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.

Finished Reading
August 31, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Van (new) - rated it 4 stars

Van Markiton I think that you are spot on Juan. I am a teenager and I really enjoyed this book a lot. Not so much because of the shiny gold cover, but because of how captivating Artemis Fowl is. He is the type of character that you want to try to be like after reading the book. You want to be calm and smart and cunning, but you don't want to be so dreary as him. However in my opinion his dreariness is what makes him so interesting. He has a plan to take down a fairy world and he is calm, and almost complacent while the plan is underway. I also love how Holly Short is almost the polar opposite of Artemis. She is excited about her job and she loves doing things that help her race. Artemis is in it for himself. I think that this type of writing is what made it so fun to read.

brian I agree

message 3: by Kamilah (new)

Kamilah I think you are right Juan. I am a fifteen year old girl and I still very much enjoyed the book. Even though I was originally attracted to the shiny gold cover of the book, I also found myself becoming completely invested in the plot. I thought the story was interesting, because Artemis was an independent, powerful, deceptive genius. It is everything a child, who is in the preferred audience member of Eoin Colfer, wants to be. He is a twelve-year-old young boy, who managed to plan a detailed kidnapping of a magical creature, known in the book as fairy. He was a very interesting character in my opinion. The book said that Artemis was planning his extravagant plan to restore his family’s fortune, but I think that Artemis is really just trying to earn his place in his family’s criminal history and please his father to feel worth of being his son. It seemed that Artemis is very worked up about this whole mission he has to complete to get the gold of the fairies. That is why I believe the mission is meant for something much deeper and more meaningful to him. I always felt that Artemis’s bitterness came from the possible neglect he was feeling. Therefore, I feel that Artemis has a lot more to him than he lets people see. He is hard to protect himself from being seen differently than his family is.

Anchit I really hated the main character. But it's just been 3 chapters so far.