Jon Chaisson's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

5192362

If you know what you're getting into with John Lydon, this is one hell of a fun read. Unapologetic (unless it's warranted), angry (often to a hilarious, 'this situation is so ridiculous it's a comedy' degree), cantankerous (but only because he truly does love you all in that Irish way), and always heartfelt...that's John. And he loves to use the 'c' word a lot--never as a sexist slur but always in the British sense of 'he's a ****ing idiot'. Underneath all that lies an actual true friend, someone who cares deeply about everyone he meets, and never does things half-arsed.

From his childhood bout of meningitis that very nearly cost him his memory, to his school days, his early awakening of his love for all kinds of music, all the way to the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, his less-than-glowing view of Malcolm McLaren, and his musical rebirth under the PiL moniker, all the way up to the present day with his television and film appearances, it's all there.

And yes, he does mention the Judge Judy episode! :)

If I had to take anything out of this, it's that I was impressed by how he viewed the punk ethos--not so much the music scene but the mindset. From the start he'd always viewed it as an alternative way of thinking, and not as a surface-level, reactionary anti-mainstream way of life. He never wanted anarchy for the hell of it--'anger is an energy' because it can be used to make a positive change. I have to admire someone, especially who many consider the godfather of the ethos, who believes in that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

February 8, 2015 – Started Reading