Anja's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Aug 31, 2010

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from January 25 to 30, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.

is mee... kissa oooooh! you're reading Night Huntress! how is it so far? or what are you up to?

Anja I just started it and am up to the part where they are leaving Bones's cave after a night of sleep. So far I like it. I know everyone seems to love it so I hope I do too.

is mee... kissa i hope you like it too. I love the whole series!

Anja The only problem I'm having is with the audio narrator. She's growing on me but isn't someone whose work I would have chosen if I didn't need to read this book. The narrator is playing Bones's Cockney accent well but she is also making him sound young and quirky which I don't know is right for this guy.

message 5: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 25, 2011 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa Another audiobook! quirky? Bones?! hmm... not exactly the way i imagined him to sound either. What do you think of him? i like him!

Anja Yes, another audiobook. I like them so back off. :P I always have at least two books going at once, one audio and one ebook. I have to read One Foot in the Grave for a challenge by the end of February. Ugh, and I signed up for the Pick It For Me next month. My New Year's Resolution was to stop participating in reading challenges and I've got three going.

So far I like Bones. I like a smartass. He just sounds really young and not at all like the studly heartthrob that I've heard about. But it isn't bothering me since I had no real preconception going into the series.

message 7: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 25, 2011 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa =P you should watch your attitude young lady!

haha... 3?! i've got the one Julie Garwood one =) maybe you should just limit yourself insetad of go from 50 challenges to zero hmmm?

i like smartasses too! i am one according to my brother. I kill him sometimes. He hates the fact that i'm a smartass. It pisses him off to no end =)
it's the audioook! hearing a chick's voice for a guy probably isn't going to make you think 'oooh sexy guy with the sexy voice'

message 8: by Anja (last edited Jan 27, 2011 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I think that is why I agreed to the challenges. Two of them are only for one book each and the other was a 6 month challenge. I think I just did too many last year which didn't help my reading slump. I've also been limiting my goodreads interactions so I'd have more time to read. Funny enough, you and I are chatting more than ever. :)

I was hesitant to read this on audio once I heard the sample but figured I'd never get around to reading the book otherwise and I had just finished my last audiobook. The voice isn't bothering me, let me be clear. It just isn't how I am used to hearing other narrators portray the male lead. We'll see what happens when I get to the smexy parts. Besides, Cat is only 21 so I wouldn't want her guy to sound like he was too mature. I'm not a fan of May-December pairings. And yes, I know Bones is an old vampire, I just don't need him to sound like it.

message 9: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 27, 2011 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa i do have a way with people =D

haha. Oh god the smexy parts! you know i feel weird watching people merly kissing on TV. Let alone the whole sex scene. I know it's not real but i always feel like i should look away. So i've got my eyes averting all over the screen; the background; the audience; the room i'm in. And then i just do one of those double takes every few milliseconds at the scene. Ever seen Underworld Evolution? That was an eyes-all-over-the-place sex scene for me. I just felt weird watching them! Anyway, my point being! i think i'd feel a bit odd listening to audio of a sex scene. The narrator won't make any 'Ah', 'Oh', *groan*, 'ooooooooooooh', 'aaaaaaaaaaaaah' sounds will she? =D

Ashley♥Alexis i dont normally enjpy listening to audip books of books that i've read already because in my head I already have an impresson of how everyone sounds but i'd be curious to see someone elses interpretation of Bones *swoon* I love that man.

message 11: by Anja (last edited Jan 27, 2011 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja OMG!!!!! I look away from the kissing scenes too!!! I thought I was the only one. It makes me uncomfortable so I either look at the rest of the screen or away entirely. And this is totally TMI, but I have no problem with smex of another kind as long as they don't kiss.

It did take some getting used to for the smex in audiobooks. Most of the audiobooks I read were light on the smex, mostly chick-lit, so it was no problem, but then I read an audiobook where there was some heavy duty smexing and all I could think about was the narrator sitting in the control booth with a couple of sound engineers watching/listening while she was reading. Awkward!! But that's nothing to how I felt listening to smex read by a guy. I cringed and thought the guy reading must have been laughing his ass off trying to get through it. Then there was the narrator who really acted out the dirty talk and made me blush.

But...now I have no problem. I perservered and can handle any narrator. I just can't listen to an audiobook when someone else is around.

message 12: by Anja (last edited Jan 27, 2011 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja AshleyAlexis wrote: "i dont normally enjpy listening to audip books of books that i've read already because in my head I already have an impresson of how everyone sounds but i'd be curious to see someone elses interpre..."

I think it would be a lot like watching the movie adaptation to a book you've read and not liking who was cast for the hero. I don't like Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy but Matthew Macfadyen... *swoon* Love his version.

Bones probably doesn't sound like you have in your mind but since I've never read the books and had no idea what to expect of him, I have no problem with his voice. I like that he's such a smartass and picks on Cat. I just got to the part where they start training together.

message 13: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 27, 2011 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa crap!!! i'm in a rush right now so i don't have time to reply to your essay of a post right now Anja! so sorry, your therapist will have to go bye-bye right now.
i didn't even read it, i just saw the length!
Anja!!! someone else is in our conversation! amazing! it only took, what? 50 other conversations for someone else to join in? =D

hellllllllllloooo AshleyAlexis! (and you're probably going to run away now) how's life?

hey! this is on your book review thingy-ma-bob! damn! i'm still not popular enough! =D

pfft! this is what i call rushed? how sad am i? don't answer that!

message 14: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Here's the thing about AshleyAlexis (Hi!)...she thinks I'm a "harsh critic." Gah! She put it on the bottom of my profile to ward off anyone considering friending me. :-) What she wrote is true so there's no hate but still...I'm not a meanie. I just know what I like. And she agrees with me 79%.

I'm afraid to not like Bones now. Who knows what you might write about me?

is mee... kissa you are a harsh critic! of course, considering we are... wait i'm checking... 89% similar, then i guess that makes me a harsh critic too. :S
you're not a meanie... that you know of... =D

Anja wrote: "I'm afraid to not like Bones now. Who knows what you might write about me?"
be afraid. Be very afraid!!!!! mwahahahahaaaaa! ahem - i mean, of course i wouldn't write anything bad about you that would make everyone who is your friend be tempted to press the de-friend button and get you kicked off goodreads... why would i so that? i mean really Anja, i think you're being a bit paranoid...

message 16: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 27, 2011 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa AshleyAlexis wrote: "i dont normally enjpy listening to audip books of books that i've read already because in my head I already have an impresson of how everyone sounds but i'd be curious to see someone elses interpre..."

ooooh!!! me too!!!! i lurve him! i can't wait for This Side of the Grave! yay for more Bones and Cat!

is mee... kissa okay, i have to go again now. I'll reply to the other posts later... oy!

message 18: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 28, 2011 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa yay! i'm back, did everyone miss me?

oh, wow! i've never even thought of those! Someone reading a sex scene with everyone listening. bah! i've always wondered how actors feel when they have to do a sex scene. There must be more people involved than in the making of an audiobook. And a guy reading a sex scene out loud... enough said.

Anja wrote: "Bones probably doesn't sound like you have in your mind but since I've never read the books and had no idea what to expect of him, I have no problem with his voice. I like that he's such a smartass and picks on Cat."

mmm... i like those parts too.

message 19: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja So far Bones has told her she's beautiful and that he'd never beat her up. I can see why you like him.

Ashley♥Alexis haha. I dont listen to, too many audio books so I wouldn't know about the awkwardness of listening to sex scenes =p

message 21: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja *fanning self* Okay, so the young, cocky, Cockney sounding Bones is working out.

message 22: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 29, 2011 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa whew! Anja, i approve
...did you check that this one had a happy ending? you usually do that don't you? and the series isn't finished yet you know. There's still This Side of the Grave and who knows what else... hopefully more

Autumn  ohh so glad u got around it!! ;)

message 24: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I am fully aware that I need to at least read the second book to get my HEA. That is why I am currently downloading the second book.

I think I'd be upset if I was reading the first book when it came out years ago and had to wait for a sequel. You see why I always wait for a series to have multiple books out, especially if they are UF?

So far I find the book really funny and Bones is...*dreamy sigh*... The things he says... This narrator is really good. I'm glad I wasn't put off by the sample.

message 25: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Autumn, you know I'm reading this for you right? And the next one.

I've been listening to this book rather than reading a new ebook because it's getting so good. I'm finding reasons to need headphones around the house.

message 26: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 30, 2011 11:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa yes Anja, i know why... i like the second one too. They're sooo good!

ah Bones *swoon* You love him right? now there's no need to write anything bad about you =)
the book is pretty funny. i love it.

you finished! :O you liked it less than i did! this is only the fifth book i liked more than you did that we have in common!

message 27: by Autumn (last edited Jan 31, 2011 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Autumn  (((Anja)))) Oh a Pleasant honor my sweet!!!

when u go to book #2 make sure u feel "properly scandalized by chp 32" is so hot!! (i fanthom how can a narrator would do panting and moaning !!!) its got me intrigued.

Yes, headphones are totally recommendable..

and u would not be satisfied until the 7th or 9th book!!! i tell you!! :P you should really give it a try to the books!! ur imagination would thank u for it haahahh

is mee... kissa omg! chapter 32! ahaha! oh yeah Anja, you need headphones. If i didn't have headphones when i was listening to that i would be scandalized, even if no-one else was there... hehe

Autumn  how was that Britt-wanna-be voice narration turned out on that chapter?? curiosity really got the best of me there!! LOL

message 30: by is mee... kissa (last edited Jan 31, 2011 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa i don't actually have an audiobook of that, but i can only imagine. God, but i would be scandilized if i heard that. Anja got the audiobook, we should ask her. =D
ah, i'm excited about this.. what the hell? i'm not even reading it! - er, listening to it!

message 31: by Anja (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja Bones is a dream hero. He says some of the sweetest things and his single minded focus on Cat is certainly fantasy worthy.

Kissa, how can you think I'd give a book with this ending 5 stars? No HEA =/= 5 stars. :P
I started the second book within seconds of finishing this one so that it would seem like less of an ending. I'd probably crack up if there wasn't a ready sequel.

I understand why Cat decided what she did but it feels like the Big Misunderstanding plot device, especially since in the second book they clear things up with one converstation.

I also found myself tuning out a bit during some of the battle scenes toward the end.

Would you believe I've already read a page or two of the infamous Chapter 32? I'd heard about it so much and never had an intention to read these books (what was I thinking?) that I checked it out online a while ago. My blushes will be back because this narrator is a very good actor.

ETA: Holy Moly! Chapter 32 made me embarrassed to listen in front of the dog.

Autumn  told ya! heheh!! :) this will be a 5star! i bet on it! ;)

is mee... kissa well... lucky the spoiler whore in you, prevented such a terrible breakdown, and caused another fiction-casued trauma that would increase said wpoiler whore. Hm, i checked on that chat with Jeaniene Frost. Appaerently there's gonna be 9 books and - you haven't met Vlad have you - a spin-off of two of his books. I love Vlad too by the way! so try not to diss him for me =)

ahaha!!! ahh, chapter 32! hehe. The dog! =D you mean the labrador boxer? i forgot his/her name... whoops. was he/her staring at you? ah, that would have been worse.

message 34: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I didn't read the chat yet, not because of spoilers but because I'm busy, but I had already heard about the series getting extended. I hope the author has in mind a series arc and doesn't just wing it like the author of the LOTU series.

I'm trying to decide if I want to start the third book now or wait a bit. I don't want to burnout on the series right away.

Not labrador boxer. He'd be huge. He's labrador/doberman or rottie/something small. He's always staring at me which is unnerving during the smex scenes. Or when I've just stepped out of the shower.

message 35: by is mee... kissa (last edited Feb 01, 2011 11:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

is mee... kissa that's the one! i knew the colours... the black and goldish thing, but i guess i got the dogs confused.

haha!!! it's a staring dog! i love those! i'm extremely paranoid from my overactive imagination though so i get kind of weirded out if i'm having a staring contest and i can't hold a dog's gaze

message 36: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I tell him his birth mother was a whore and that's why he had so many dads contributing to his DNA. One of these days I'll buy the kit to test what breeds he really is made of.

is mee... kissa haha... poor thing, probably never even knew his mother dearest.
hmm... it would be interesting to find out the breed. Definitely a mix.

Ashley♥Alexis i just got this on audio book from the library!! Im so excited to figure out if audio version of this book will be a hit or miss ^.^

message 39: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I'm excited and cringing for you. I just saw someone else start listening to it and she was horrified by the narrator's Bones. I thought it was weird at first but it grew on me until I thought it was perfect.

Ashley♥Alexis hahaha that was my first reaction when he spoke. I was like "OMG NO THEY DIDNT" I honestly feel like if i hadnt read the book prior to listening to the book I wouldnt have stuck it out. Im trying to ignore the voice. Im just wondering why he doesnt have a NORMAL english accent. He has the voice of a sickly commoner from the 1600's

message 41: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja To be fair, he is lower class and written with a Cockney accent. It is evident in the words he uses. I just think it is hard for readers to "hear" that while reading, especially when most heroes have a James Bond accent versus Michael Caine. I could never hear Derek Craven's lower class accent unless it was written in the punctuation.

I thought the narrator's Bones sounded too young and cocky at first but it did grow on me and the narrator gets much better. I hadn't read the print books so my view may be skewed.

What part are you up to? I rewound many times to listen to heart melting sections over and over. Like him declaring his love and near the end when he says he missed her. I know I'll reread it.

Ashley♥Alexis I'm not too far. I only have time to listen while walking to classes and riding the bus from classes. Right now they're having the first training session

Ashley♥Alexis I finally finished listening to this. I must say im pleasently surpirsed. I loved the book so i'm glad the audio book didn't ruin it for me. I don't think I'll be listening to the other ones. Although I just bought the last 2. I decided not to read them until I was finished listening to this one, it was a nice memory refresher.

message 44: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja That's too bad you didn't like it as much as I did. I understand where you are coming from though. I think it would bother most people that read the book first.

When I continue the series, I will stick with the audio version.

Did you see the cover for the next book that was released today?

Ashley♥Alexis I just saw it. I didn't realize she was coming out with another installment. I hope this isn't going to be like the Sookie Stackhouse series. That series should have stopped at book 8 and it's on 11 now. I read them because i try to be a loyal fan but they're just not that great anymore. Some authors just don't know when to let a series rest.

message 46: by Anja (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anja I agree. Some series should be finite. I think it makes the story arcs stronger as well, especially when the books are written toward a finale rather than just fizzle and die. IIRC, this series is contracted for 9 books. I don't remember if the author said she would write more or that she was done after 9.