Bark's Reviews > On the Edge

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Aug 31, 2010

bookshelves: audiobook

Rose is barely eking out a living working a minimum wage job and trying to keep her two younger brothers fed and clothed. Rose lives on the edge between the broken (the mundane world) and the weird (the magical world). Her parents are dead and because she possesses a coveted magical power she’s in fear of becoming someone’s brood mare and is constantly on alert for would-be kidnappers.

Rose doesn’t trust men, with good reason, and steers clear of relationships. Blue-blooded men are the worst but this is a romantic urban fantasy so wouldn’t you know it; a blue blood shows up and wreaks havoc on her already chaotic life. She resists Declan's obvious charms but not for too long. He’s a gorgeous, hot hunk of man with a large sword and he’s nice to her brothers. There’s a lot more that goes on here but I read this weeks ago and things are fading.

This is a fun read, with great characterization. The plot of demon hounds was interesting and gritty enough to hold my attention and I thought the world building, magic, mundane and in-between unique and well described.

There’s romance, a few “awwww my heart just melted” moments, a warm family unit, action (but not too much, I’m not a big action girl), adventure and most of all wit and warmth. An all-around fantastic read. I can’t wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Edge.

August 31, 2010 – Shelved
August 31, 2010 – Shelved as: audiobook
December 15, 2010 – Started Reading
December 18, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 21, 2010 –
30.0% "Grandmere: "They said he has a really big sword" Gotta love the sense of humor in these books."
December 25, 2010 –
100.0% "Oh how I loved this one, am starting Bayou Moon immediately because I adored William."

new_user Woo! Good stuff.

Bark Good, I need something to knock me out of my current funk.

Kelly This was a really awesome book--sweet and badass at the same time.

Regina It isn't Kate Daniels, but it is good stuff. I liked Bayou Moon even more than this one.

Kat Kennedy Let it knock you off. I really love this book.

message 6: by willaful (new)

willaful Oh yay, I have this one. Now if only I can finish up all my other paranormals series...

Bark I know, all of these never ending series exhaust me. Fortunately I had this on audio (and the Kate books too) so I was able to read them all in order for a change.

new_user LOL. Yes, I'd like some of these series to end, LOL.