Jessica's Reviews > Wizards, Woods and Gods

Wizards, Woods and Gods by F.T. McKinstry

This is one crafty, creative lady. Her command of the English language, her knowledge of mythology and folklore and story telling abilities are almost intimidating. I enjoyed reading one of these before bed every night. I found them comforting. I've got to point out that she is a complete artist and her blog is worth a visit ftmckinstry.com.

There is a lot of mystical, ancient atmosphere going on and her use of language reflects that. She writes as though she is from a different time. This is not something that anyone can do. It's a special skill for a contemporary writer to be able to channel a long lost way of speaking. To bring to life characters who literally are from completely different worlds is also a challenge. It requires a certain level of education and creativity. It is a sign of the respect and reverence she has for her chosen genre, era and characters.

The stories are short but complex. Throughout most of them, there is a reverence for nature, water and all things maternal. Warriors, lovers and the cruelty of nature and humanity are also given their due. Wizards and shape shifters do battle. A beautiful shade falls desperately in love with a warrior.

I think my favorite story was Eating Crow, involving a shapeshifting female who rarely takes the form of a mortal woman. Then there is The Bridge, which was a rather sensual tale between a priestess and a hunter. In another tale entitled The Deathseer, there is such a memorable quote by an assassin of all people.

'Love is the difficult choice. Thorn said quietly. Fear is easy.' (The Deathseer in Wizards Woods and Gods by F.T. McKinstry)

Couldn't we all learn from those words?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizards, Woods and Gods.