Morgan F's Reviews > Losing Faith

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden

Aug 31, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: pulse-it, 2010, young-adult, goodreads-author, its-a-girl, mystery, debut, medium-sized, read-2010, e-book

Brie is your average self-absorbed teenage girl. Her main concerns are partying and trying to keep her boyfriend's interest. However, one night Brie receives horrible news: her older sister Faith was killed in a horrible accident. Brie and Faith weren't particularly close as Faith was devoutly religious, something Brie wasn't all that comfortable with. Despite their differences, when Faith dies, Brie's world collapses. She loses her boyfriend, best friend, and her parents are too distracted with their own grief to even notice her. And Brie isn't ready to move on. There is something unsettling about the circumstances of Faith's death….something that just doesn't add up. And Brie is determined to find out just what it is.

While this book certainly is original, it is nothing extraordinary. It takes patience to get through the meandering plot and it took me weeks to finish. Yet I persevered. It wasn't suspense that drew me in, but there was something so…..pleasant about the writing. I liked it.

There was a little too much religious talk for my tastes. Even Brie, who is one of the least religious characters in the book, discusses it quite a lot. It kind of makes me feel uncomfortable and guilty because I never go to church for the sole reason that I am too lazy to go to church of Sundays. Does mass have to be on a weekend? That's when I catch up on my beauty sleep. And homework. And Jersey Shore marathons.

As for the mystery-plot, there really was none. It seemed to be a suspended curiosity rather than an impending mystery. Brie just kind of ran around in circles while Tessa went all ninja. Things didn't turn action-y until the last fifty pages or so. Then it was like BAM.

But as I said before, there was something likable about it, some sort of endearing factor that kept me turning the pages.

I don't really recommend this book, but I won't dive-bomb you in the bookstore screaming "NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" if I see you pick it up ( I have been known to do this in the past, particularly with certain YA vampire books).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Faith.

August 31, 2010 – Shelved
August 31, 2010 – Shelved as: pulse-it
August 31, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
August 31, 2010 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 31, 2010 – Shelved as: goodreads-author
September 11, 2010 – Started Reading
September 13, 2010 –
page 38
9.5% "I sense a mystery."
September 13, 2010 – Shelved as: its-a-girl
September 15, 2010 –
page 64
16.0% "Hmmm. Tessa and Celeste know something...."
September 18, 2010 –
page 126
31.5% "A bit slow moving..."
September 19, 2010 –
page 168
September 20, 2010 –
page 195
48.75% "The plot is slowly inching forward."
September 24, 2010 –
page 212
53.0% "I'm too tired to read."
September 27, 2010 –
page 222
55.5% "Will I ever finish this book?"
October 2, 2010 – Shelved as: mystery
October 2, 2010 – Shelved as: debut
October 4, 2010 –
page 272
68.0% "I can finally read this again."
October 5, 2010 –
page 302
75.5% "This book is incredibly slow moving."
October 11, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 10, 2010 – Shelved as: medium-sized
December 19, 2010 – Shelved as: read-2010
February 8, 2011 – Shelved as: e-book

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I'm curious about this book. I'm undecided, can't wait to hear what you think.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen Yes, yes. I require your thoughts on this one. I must buy it.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm with Tina and Jen, I'm not sure if I want to read this.

Morgan F I still have yet to get into it.

message 5: by Nic (new)

Nic Good review Morgan. I am taking this off my list.

Morgan F Yeah. Its not quite good enough to go out and buy.

message 7: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Great review! This is at my lib so I might pick it up one day:)