Clare's Reviews > The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling

The Story Factor by Annette Simmons

bookshelves: storytelling, communication, on-loan

Anyone who has an interest in how storytelling can be used for more effective communication (in business as well as personal situations) should read this book. It makes an incredibly compelling and clear case for the use of story and highlights a range of potential applications and benefits from using a story-based approach.

As I made my way through the book I was hoping for some more 'how to' information. The new chapter in the paperback edition, 'Story Thinking as a Skill', was certainly the chapter I found most useful. While this chapter stops short of providing a step-by-step guide on how to elicit, structure and present stories, I realised, after making my way through the book, that this would be impossible. There is no one-size-fits-all formula or approach to storytelling, and as the author writes in the last paragraph of the book - 'Agility improves with practice and coaching. This new chapter is my best shot at the coaching part. Now it's time for you to go practice'.

Notes from the book are at Webby Clare.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story Factor.

August 31, 2010 – Shelved