GotMyReservations's Reviews > That Summer

That Summer by Lauren Willig

bookshelves: historical-fiction, chick-lit, art-history

This dual story flips back and forth between the 1840s and 2009 when the main character, American Julia Conley, inherits her aunt's house in suburban London. Julia is in limbo in her life and "that summer" is a good time to go to England and settle her aunt's estate. As she clears out the house to sell it, she discovers a painting that changes her life trajectory and she remembers things about her English childhood and the relationship between her mother and father that she has repressed.

The mystery of the painting was well developed and kept my interest and the 1840s story was very engaging. The modern story was also interesting, but is classic chick-lit; girl meets boy, girl and boy misunderstand each other, and so on. I wasn't sure which way either story would end, and to me, that's the sign of a well-crafted mystery.

I listened to this book on audio and did not encounter the editing problems that some reviewers have discussed. The reviewers also discuss the likability factor of the main character, which I agree with. I also think there was room for more development of some of the characters, especially in the 1840s story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Summer.

Started Reading