Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > I Am Pilgrim

I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes

bookshelves: liburry-book, read-2015

I finally finished this monster of a book! I normally read a book in a days time, but this one wouldn't allow that. I kept having to put the book down to look up stuff.
Palm Springs commercial photography
The author captured my attention so much that I wanted to see what the characters were seeing. I love when that happens. The only problem is..it takes me forever to read the book.

There has been a murder in a run down hotel in New York. A woman has been soaked in a tub of acid and her teeth removed. The killer does not want this woman identified. That little tidbit starts the spin that is this book.
The main character is the super-spy guy. I'm going to call him Scott, but he has so many different names that I don't think he remembers his own either.
Scott has retired from the business. He just wants some peace and quiet after giving all he has to his country.

You know that ain't gonna happen though. There is a major terrorist out there that is about to start his dreams of taking down the infidels of the west (America). He doesn't plan on stopping there though. He wants to wipe out as many people globally as he can.
Enter Scott's old bosses, those types of guys that never give you much information, because it's classified.
This guy is what Jason Bourne would have been if he wasn't played by this puss head. Times a hundred.
Palm Springs commercial photography

\Mostly I was thinking about how the secret world never leaves you-it's always waiting in the darkness, ready to gather its children back again.

I don't want to give too much of the book away. I will say that this story line terrified me. Completely and utterly. I could see this happening and I hope to all that is Tom Cruise that some nut job doesn't decide to make it come true. BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS!!

This was also a debut for this author. I never would have guessed that.

There were a few bad things. (This would have gotten a full five star otherwise)
The book does drag at times, but if I put it down I could feel it calling to me, I couldn't take not knowing what was going on when I wasn't reading.
There is a TON of info. I feel like I know this character inside and out. I added him to my Christmas card list. We cousins now.
There is a few boo-boo's with the medical stuff. There are two instances that I had to stop and say.."you got that shit wrong"..but there is enough right that I didn't hold it against him.

Some readers are going to say that it's bent towards America winning. I'm American..so I'm okay with that.
Palm Springs commercial photography

I hear that a movie is in the works for this big old sucker. I'm going to go and practice my DEFCON 1 look and get ready!
Palm Springs commercial photography

Booksource: Library, but I am ordering copies for my husband and ex-father in law.

Palm Springs commercial photography
My friend Mark's review uses words better than I do. Don't be scared of the clown face. I don't think he bites..maybe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Pilgrim.

Quotes Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Liked

Terry Hayes
“nobody’s ever been arrested for a murder; they have only ever been arrested for not planning it properly.”

Terry Hayes
“If you take the final betrayal out of it,' he said, 'he was a fine agent - one of the best.'
I stared at him. 'That's one way of putting it,' I replied. 'If you take the bomb out of it, 6 August was probably a nice day in Hiroshima.”

Terry Hayes
“if the shit is up to your neck—whatever you do, don’t make waves.”

February 7, 2015 – Shelved
November 12, 2015 – Started Reading
November 16, 2015 –
page 22
3.59% "I remembered what somebody once said about Bill Clinton-he never met a woman he didn't like. I figured it wouldn't be helpful to tell them I felt the same way about drugs.\n Palm Springs commercial photography\n I think this guy is Chong."
November 17, 2015 –
page 103
16.83% " Palm Springs commercial photography\n That's how long I feel like this book is going to last."
page 265
43.3% " Palm Springs commercial photography\n \n I keep saying I'm going to dnf this big old sucker..but then it sucks me right back in."
page 273
44.61% "" The room is white, lined from floor to ceiling with plain shelves-"\n "An empty library?"\n "That's right," I replied, "the sort of world we'd live in if the fanatics had won."\n Palm Springs commercial photography"
page 390
63.73% "I knew he was lying-he was so full of shit, if I gave him an enema I could have fitted him in a shoe box.\n Palm Springs commercial photography"
November 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

message 1: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters I want to know what you think of this one--so many mixed reviews --from THE BEST ever --to way too long and violent

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Elyse wrote: "I want to know what you think of this one--so many mixed reviews --from THE BEST ever --to way too long and violent"

It's a frigging huge book. I am so far out on the jury. I love parts and parts of it suck.

message 3: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters yeah--I get that --(makes sense) --
I was once very interested --but at the moment --(less so with too many NG books on my plate) --but I want to read what you say --

Hugs my friend! xoxo

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog HAHAHAHAHAA!!!
LOVE THAT KITTY IN A BOX!!! LOL

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Elyse wrote: "yeah--I get that --(makes sense) --

Hugs my friend! xoxo"

I'm going to end up rating it pretty high. I actually don't think I will forget it for a long time.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAA!!!
LOVE THAT KITTY IN A BOX!!! LOL"

:D

Mark I do think this review is worthy of a big bad balloon.

Very enjoyable review thanks.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mark wrote: "I do think this review is worthy of a big bad balloon.

Very enjoyable review thanks."

Whoohoo! I got a balloon :D

(Thanks Mark)

kohey Great review,Shelby!
Thanks for reminding me that I DID read!(YES,too much info)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* KOHEY.Y. wrote: "Great review,Shelby!
Thanks for reminding me that I DID read!(YES,too much info)"

LOL! There is soo much info. I can see where it tied back around and made sense, but I'm a shallow reader dang it. :D

Zoeytron I've had this one marked for awhile, but now I wish it was very next. Outstanding review, Shelby. Now I'm going to grab the string on Mark's big bad balloon and float on over to see his review.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Zoeytron wrote: "I've had this one marked for awhile, but now I wish it was very next. Outstanding review, Shelby. Now I'm going to grab the string on Mark's big bad balloon and float on over to see his review."

LOL! I've driven my husband so crazy during the reading of it that he said it better be under our Christmas tree with his name on it. It's a book that you want to talk about. :D

message 13: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Fantastic review, Shelby!! Ran across this at my Hospital Book Sale and it's waiting for my attention.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mike wrote: "Fantastic review, Shelby!! Ran across this at my Hospital Book Sale and it's waiting for my attention."

Lucky find! Hope you enjoy :)

Jennifer Masterson Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas card list! Lol! I felt like I knew him too and you are right this is scary because it could happen!

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna As usual an excellent review, Shelby!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas card list! Lol! I felt like I knew him too and you are right this is scary because it could happen!"

I am so scared of this. I almost want to hide the book from people.
It looks like there might be more of these books coming since this one is tagged as Pilgrim #1. Heck yes!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "As usual an excellent review, Shelby!!"

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas card list! Lol! I felt like I knew him too and you are right this is scary because it could happen!"

I..."

Yeah I know what you mean about hiding this book from people, especially now! Yes I hear a sequal is in the works! Hurray! I wonder who will play Scott in the movie? I'm hoping Michael Fassbender but that's only because I can't get enough of him! Lol

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas card list! Lol! I felt like I knew him too and you are right..."

I could go for some Fassbender too! NOT stupid Matt Damon though..anyone but him. Yuk. Or Tom Cruise. Double yuk.

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas card list! Lol! I felt like I knew him too ..."

Lol! Too funny! If they cast Tom Cruise I won't even watch it!

I just checked it says to be released in 2017 but doesn't show anyone cast yet.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him to your Christmas ..."

They need to get on with it. I ain't getting any younger. :D

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review Shelby! I love the part about adding him t..."

Yeah right! Lol ;)

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Awesome Shelby! This was a terrifying read.

Jennifer Masterson Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Phenomenal review..."

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Oh I really have to read that one!! Great review Shelby :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jen wrote: "Awesome Shelby! This was a terrifying read."

Thanks Jen. :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "OMG! I only saw the first part of your response. I meant "yeah right" to them getting on with it! I'm such a bubble head! Oh I'm not getting any younger either! That's for damn sure! Everything hurts! Lol "..."

Heck I didn't notice..plus I have a sarcastic sense of humor so I thought it was awesome anyways. LOL!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Oh I really have to read that one!! Great review Shelby :)"

Thanks girlie! :D

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "OMG! I only saw the first part of your response. I meant "yeah right" to them getting on with it! I'm such a bubble head! Oh I'm not getting any younger either! That's for damn sur..."

Lol! I love sarcastic people! Life would be boring without them! :D

message 31: by S.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.M. West LMAO, fab review, Shelby! And love your Norman gif!! xo

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "OMG! I only saw the first part of your response. I meant "yeah right" to them getting on with it! I'm such a bubble head! Oh I'm not gett..."

:D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Suzanne wrote: "LMAO, fab review, Shelby! And love your Norman gif!! xo"

I want to put him in my pocket. My husband says he is getting to where he is agreeing that he needs a bath. I care not! Still want him. LOL

JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust There has been a murder in a run down hotel in New York. A woman has been soaked in a tub of acid and her teeth removed. " . . . You had me at acid :-*

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust wrote: " There has been a murder in a run down hotel in New York. A woman has been soaked in a tub of acid and her teeth removed. " . . . You had me at acid :-*"

I think we might be sisters.

JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust wrote: " There has been a murder in a run down hotel in New York. A woman has been soaked in a tub of acid and her teeth removed. " . . . You had me at acid :-*"

I think w..."

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

message 37: by meghann (new)

meghann "BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS" is going to be my new go to phrase. At work, Thanksgiving...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* meghann wrote: ""BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS" is going to be my new go to phrase. At work, Thanksgiving..."

LOL! We need t-shirts too

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "meghann wrote: ""BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS" is going to be my new go to phrase. At work, Thanksgiving..."

LOL! We need t-shirts too"

That's an awesome idea! Lol I'd buy one! :)

message 40: by meghann (new)

meghann Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "meghann wrote: ""BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS" is going to be my new go to phrase. At work, Thanksgiving..."

I'm in!

message 41: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "meghann wrote: ""BE PEACEFUL MOTHERFUCKERS" is going to be my new go to phrase. At work, Thanksgiving..."

That's an awesome i..."

Me too!

message 42: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Love your review!!! I've been watching this book and still don't know if I want to read it. Such mixed reviews on it.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Margitte wrote: "Love your review!!! I've been watching this book and still don't know if I want to read it. Such mixed reviews on it."

I know, that was a big question for me too. I will admit that I'm very impatient and almost said to heck with it because of the size of the book and soooo much information. Now I'm glad I stuck with it but I can see where the ratings could go either way.

message 44: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila This sounds really interesting. I think I'm adding this. Great review Shelby! :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Twila wrote: "This sounds really interesting. I think I'm adding this. Great review Shelby! :D"

Thanks Twila. I hope you enjoy :)

Valerie (Howler_Puff) "We cousins now" hahahahahaha! Awesome review like always!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Valerie wrote: ""We cousins now" hahahahahaha! Awesome review like always!"

Thanks Valerie :D

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Valerie wrote: ""We cousins now" hahahahahaha! Awesome review like always!"

+1 - totally snort-laughed at that line.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Valerie wrote: ""We cousins now" hahahahahaha! Awesome review like always!"

+1 - totally snort-laughed at that line."

You know you and I are probably cousins too. LOL

message 50: by Daiane (new)

Daiane Ohhh, I bought this in Canada for a really cheap price but never read it. I will probably do so now. Great review shelbs :D

« previous 1