Lyndsey's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

You know how with some books, every few words you're like,"Ooooh, ostentatious, that's a good word. Oh, guttersnipe, that's another good word."

Well, this isn't one of those books.

Not like that's a bad thing. I just mean that it's a very quick and easy read. Prose that's not exactly lyrical, but also not anywhere near boring.

The Rundown

"Into every generation she is born: one girl in all the world, a chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and skill to fight the vampires, demons, and the forces of darkness reapers; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their number capture of human souls. She is the Slayer Preliator."

Chosen One who battles darkness with the help of her "Angelic" love interest and nerdy friends. Does the plot of Angelfire sound familiar at all? It should.

Fire - Bad. Angel - Preeeeetty.

Now just throw some angels and some stuff about Heaven and Hell and battling the forces of Hell.

New rule. You steal my storyline, you get punched!

Oh, that sounds familiar too?

The World-building

This seems to be heavily influenced by Buffy, which in my case... well, I just can't freaking help it: I love it. I drink it up like chocolate from a chocolate fountain. If there is a chosen one and beastie fighting, I am all over it. Yet, Angelfire lacks the humor and refinement of Buffy, so it ends up being more similar to Mortal Instruments in tone and maturity.

With the exception of my absolute love of the show Supernatural, I've never really gotten into the whole heaven-vs-hell thing. Luckily, this one appears to be easy on the preach. I know some people zone out when God and Lucifer get brought out, but I felt this on was lighter on that aspect than most. It focused much more on the angels and the Fallen, instead of "Heaven, blah, blah, blah. God, blah, blah, blah."

The Characters

Very cliched, very typical YA. Yes, our main character, named Ellie, is a bit of a Mary Sue and her guardian Will has a major Hero complex, but (God help me) maybe that isn't always the worst thing in the world. Especially when you just want to escape for a while.

Will, whom Ellie looks at with "a certain fondness deep in her heart," is older than most YA hero types as an early twenty-something. Being in my mid-twenties, this was much appreciated and made me feel like less of a Pedobear than usual.

The Verdict

If you weren't a fan of Twilight or the original Mortal Instruments, then you may not like this either. But if you loved those (and I know many of you do), then you'll probably love this series too. In the end, I liked it but wasn't overly impressed.

It's a zombie page-turner. The kind where you zone out and can't believe how little time seemed to go by in so many pages. But maybe that's just me. Any mention of a "chosen one" and I'm gone. Simple language, simple story but it's all simply fun. I was underwhelmed by the character development but overwhelmed with enjoyment for this world that feels so familiar.

My not-very-reliable theory about how this book came into existance: Buffy and Supernatural had a baby who ended up being raised by Seventh Heaven after it's parents were killed by demons. Sounds believable, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

August 30, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
November 15, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Crowinator Excellent review; very fair in criticism and praise. And I love your phrase "zombie page-turner".

Johnny I am right there with you; I saw a review that compared this book to Buffy and was like....I have to read this!!!

Lyndsey Thanks, Crow! Zombie references make the world go round! And if you ask me, everyone in the world should be watching The Walking Dead.

John - It's quite a bit more juvenile than Buffy. Think: a Disney channel version of Buffy Season One :-)

message 4: by Katy (new) - rated it 1 star

Katy Great review! I read this one after seeing it floating around my feed, but wasn't impressed and I felt like you hit on all the points that bothered me. For me the most interesting parts of the book were the flashbacks, I found them more interesting and better in dialogue than the scenes set in the present, but that alone couldn't carry for me and in the end I was unimpressed but it may also have had something to do with the fact that all the YA reading I was doing was blurring together and was hoping for a stand out in this one and didn't find it. Oh well, the search continues!

Johnny Dang it! That's what I feared :( But hey, even a watered down version of Buffy's better than most of the YA books out nowadays ;)

Lyndsey Katy, I've actually just finished the sequel and it was SO much better. So don't give up hope just yet.

I'm with you on that, John, but not everyone feels the same, lol.

Arianna Hmmm... After reading Halo i'm kind of over the whole angle / devil scene. Maybe i'll give another try...
(Nice review by the way :) )

Lyndsey Thanks! This was actually a really interesting take on angel mythology. They focused more on the "slayer" side of things than the "heaven and hell" part.

BiblioJen Lyndsey, I just started this book last night, and was cruising the reviews of it when your caught my eye. 'Cause ... TEAM WINCHESTER!!!! LOL And I am a huge Joss Whedon fan. So I loved your comparisons. I have spend so many hours obsessing over Supernatural, I'm sure that show has cost me YEARS of my life! Your review made my day! :-)

Tzadikim Well said.

I'm also a big sucker for those rundowns. I can't help it. :) Your theory also seems very, very realistic. I wonder what would happen if it also got raised by Veronica Mars. Because that would so be a book worth reading.

message 11: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy That is a very helpful review, thank you. Now I can read this with reasonable expectations, good and band, which means I will probably just be able to enjoy it instead of mentally snarking at the bad stuff all of the way through.