Celestia's Reviews > Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham

Aug 30, 2010

Read in August, 2010

This is from my son Dallin, age 12, who read the book (I've read the book as well):

"I learned what a privateer is. I learned what it means to buy an expectation from a sailor. What they used to do is you would find a sailor and pay him some money and he would have an estimated amount of money that he would make on that voyage. You would get some of the money. It's a risky thing like investing because they might get killed or something. One way they make money is by working as part of the crew. I believe that most of the way they make money is by selling some of their cargo at the end of the voyage. Some examples of cargo they would sell are pepper and coffee.
" I learned that the Cape of Good Hope is a stormy place. I learned that Sumatra used to be part of Maylasia.
"I learned that you can tell time by the North Star and the Big Dipper but I still haven't figured out how. I learned that it would only take about three months with good weather to travel to the Cape of Good Hope from Boston."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On, Mr. Bowditch.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily How fabulous to have Dallin review the book! He absorbed so much! I could just envision Dallin speaking the words of his review as I was reading them.

What a fantastic thing to read about--for a kid to learn about history and the workings of world trade!

Do you want to go to the This Is the Place Heritage Park tomorrow? I'll call you in the morning if we end up going....