Swathi Shenoy's Reviews > Arjun: Without a Doubt

Arjun by Shinde Sweety

bookshelves: books-i-own, review-copy

Ramayana and Mahabharatha are my all time favorite reads. No matter how many times you read them, there is always something new to learn each time. So when the author asked if I want to review it, I happily agreed. What interested me most was this book was written from the point of view of Arjun and Draupadi - two of my favorite characters from Mahabaratha. I was looking forward to read this book.

When I picked up the book, I instantly liked the language. The book is written in first person - some in Arjun's voice and the other in Draupadi's. I enjoyed it immensely. All these times, when reading this epic, I was a bystander - watching the story unfold from a corner. But reading the story in first person perspective changes it all. You feel the character's emotions and it keeps you involved in the book.

Reading this book, I started understanding the epic in a new light. I loved how the author has glorified Arjun through Draupadi's eyes and vice versa. It was a moment of joy when I read Panchali's polygamy was forced and not a choice made willingly. Though Arjun had to share his wife with his brothers, the love between Arjun and Draupadi remained the strongest till the end, which proves their love was true. I loved the bonding between Krishn and Arjun and how it is depicted throughout the book.

The language is immaculate. I liked the flow of the novels. I liked the dual point of view offered on the events. It was difficult to put the book down. The spark between Arjun and Draupadi is clearly depicted and it was fun to read about it. Arjun - Draupadi fans are in for a treat! I also liked that the author hasn't glorified Yudhishtir much. Despite his greatness, it was wrong to wager so much for the dice game and I would have been disheartened if he was glorified even after that. Mistakes are made by everyone and it becomes crime when instead of correcting them, people just accept them!

There was one thing which I didn't like. The story just picks up from where it is left off without any pretext of who the narrator of that part is. Sometimes I had to read two or three paragraphs to understand whether it was Draupadi's Point of View or Arjun's. And sometimes I had to go back and start reading again once I understood. So it was a little frustrating.

I wish there was more to read. I couldn't get over the fact that the story ended too soon, especially the Kurukshetra war. I wanted to read more about it and it was a disappointment that it ended so soon with only little description about it.

Here are a few lines that i liked from the book:
* Deserts come out of volcanoes. Oceans come out of earthquakes. Nature has its own violent way of balancing its elements. We are just trying to imitate Nature in human form. We may succeed or we may fail. But we canot live life regretting that we did not try when we could.
* No person is great in isolation. It takes many hands to shape a life. Denial would mean conceit, and conceit is not the same as self-respect.
* Religion is nothing but a series of conveniently placed loopholes.
* Passion is a feeling born to bear pain. Bear it, or let go.
* Power does not justify sin. Power is not virtue. Virtue is that which lasts inspite of power.
* Absence of questions is not proof of answers.
and the best one is the below quote which Krishn says to Arjun
* Don't underestimate your triumphs. Leave it to the enemy.

Verdict: I LOVED this book. The book is a awesome and it is highly recommended for Mahabharatha fans. Especially, if you are an Arjun fan, then this book is definitely for you! Go grab your copy now! It is totally worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arjun.

February 6, 2015 – Shelved
February 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 12, 2015 – Started Reading
February 16, 2015 –
page 214
69.93% "So far so good. Loving it :)"
February 17, 2015 – Finished Reading