Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > Going Too Far

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far really took me by surprise. I expected it to be one of the usual YA teen romances, a bit poorly written and cliché, but it certainly wasn't. There is so much more to this book than I'd expected and it really blew me away.
I really enjoyed Echols writing - It was enjoyable and more complex than I thought it'd be. The characters were really well developed and had great, vivid personalities - Echols really made all of them come to life. The characters were definitely individual, but not very 'obvious' - there was continuously more and more things being revealed about both Meg and John, some things that I didn't expect. At some points, I found Meg to be a little frustrating, but most of the time, despite her extremely rebellious nature, I sympathised with her and connected with her.
From the half way point, I was hooked by this book and I found it hard to put down - Revelations from the protagonist added yet another layer to the book and story. I didn't find John's secret particularly surprising (I'd predicted it quite early on) and even though Meg left many hints about her main secret, once it was revealed, it was still quite shocking and touching.
Meg and John are definitely not your most conventional couple, but they work together so well. The scenes between them were intense and even when they weren't so close together, you could feel the tension in Meg's thoughts and feelings towards him. The passion between them was just so right.
I'm very excited to read more books by Echols.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Too Far.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

“I am full of fear.”

Jennifer Echols
“You can't tell a seventeen-year-old anything. They think they're immortal. They don't listen. Seventeen-year-olds have to see it for themselves.”

Jennifer Echols
“Your lot in life? A lot is something you draw, like straws. It's chance. You didn't get this life by chance. You chose it on purpose. If you're dissatisfied from it, you can change it.”

Jennifer Echols
“What have we done to each other?”

09/21/2011 page 63

Nicola Glad ahem, you, decided to read that one then ;)