Claudine's Reviews > An Invitation to Sin

An Invitation to Sin by Jo Beverley

Aug 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: kaitlin-o-riley, sally-mackenzie, vanessa-kelly

The only reason I picked up this anthology was because of 3 authors I read regularly. Four stories with no common theme. 3 star rating because while I loved The Naked Prince, I truly didn't like the Forbidden Affections, I just couldn't get past the what bothered me the most with the story.

Jo Beverley - was not a fimilar author to me, it was the first time I have read anything by her and will be the last. Forbidden Affections is about a 30 year old Earl falling for a 16 year old child, Please.... I know that in past reality this was every day occurance but let's face it we read these books for enjoyment, not historical content. And this was a short story I did not enjoy.

Vanessa Kelly - The Pleasures Of A Younger Lover, was interesting but needed more development, the story was rushed, which is understandable as it is a short story.

Sally MacKenzie - The Naked Prince....What can I say this story alone was worth buying the book. Sally is not a disappointment, she made me laught with the first book I ever read by her and the laughter still continues with this short story. Looking forward to reading The Naked King

Kaitlin O'Riley - A Summer love Affair, A delightful story and well put together and flows nicely to completion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Invitation to Sin.

August 30, 2010 – Shelved
August 30, 2010 – Shelved as: vanessa-kelly
August 30, 2010 – Shelved as: kaitlin-o-riley
August 30, 2010 – Shelved as: sally-mackenzie
January 29, 2011 – Started Reading
February 4, 2011 –
page 220
62.5% "Jo Beverley - Forbidden Affections has quite possibly been the most unliked short story I have read."
February 4, 2011 –
page 306
86.93% "Jo Beverley - Forbidden Affections has quite possibly been the most unliked short story I have read."
February 5, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet I enjoyed Forbidden Affections. There's a lot of humour and the age gap is certainly discussed. Since this is ordinarily a trope I don't care for, in my opinion, Jo Beverley handled it very well.

Claudine Hi Janet, I will most certainly agree with you on the humour within Forbidden Affections. I just found it very difficult to understand Jo Beverley's outcome of the story, especially after when the two characters first met. A reputed rake falling for a 16 year old girl because of her natural curiosity. If Jo Beverley had to write the story without the love interest or added a couple of years then I would say I may have felt differently. This aspect of the story overshadowed an potentially amusing story.