Colleen's Reviews > Passenger to Frankfurt

Aug 30, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: whodunnit
Read in August, 2010

Weird, weird, weird. You could tell based on the preface and the strange pleading to the reader that this COULD all happen and that Christie had stewed long and hard on this, but really it was her way outside her element. The book is like an old woman's paranoid treatise, so guess mildly interesting just for that odd window to Christie's view of 1970.

I kind of skipped thru the Benvo part, because it didn't really make sense and was a terrible idea. Then the revelation of Juanita (who I actually suspected earlier in the book, but dismissed because the part was so small and got distracted by the all the angst and silliness) happened and I found I didn't even care that much who the murderous assasin was. And really? That's who Juanita was? I just guessed that person because so improbable but seriously Agatha?

How did everything wind up? Was Big Charlotte stopped? Adolph Hitler Jr. foiled? I'm not really sure... all I know is a Panda stuffed animal stood in as best man and a wedding happened. Yawn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passenger to Frankfurt.

05/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy How odd! I thought I'd read all of Christie, but I don't remember that one. And, like so many authors (rex stout comes to mind) who have written for decades and decades , their work in the 60's and 70's seems to really deteriorate. I don't think it is their age as much as the challenge of their art trying too hard to morph into the hip, new era.

Colleen It's interesting because the closest Christie came I think to writing an apocalyptic book (Washington DC burnt to the ground, countries taken over by anarchist drug addicted youth, etc.). Not done well though--you could tell parts were hurridly patched up and book didn't really make much sense. I would really love to know the backstory behind Passenger to Frankfurt.

And yes! I thought I read them all too--usually I remember it halfway through the book--but not this one.

message 3: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom "...an old woman's paranoid treatise". I absolutely agree and couldn't have said it better myself. But as unfortunate and diffficult to read as this book is, I find it somewhat fascinating in what it shows of Christie's disillusionment with a world she could no longer quite comprehend. The "youth movement" of the day frightened her, so she connected it to a Nazi peril that she could understand. Interesting glimpse of how her mind was working at her advanced age.