AH's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

Aug 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: library-finds, anthology, zzread-sept-2010

Anthologies are always hit and miss for me. I'm usually happy if one story makes an impression. I picked up Holidays Are Hell because of the Kim Harrison story. Surprisingly, it was my favorite story in the book.

Here is my breakdown:
Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel by Kim Harrison - 4 stars
This is the story of an 18 year old Rachel Morgan. It takes place before Dead Witch Walking, before Rachel joins the I.S. and before she meets Ivy. We learn more about Rachel's illness as a child, her talents as a witch, and her family. Some surprise character appearances as well. Great story.

Run, Run, Rudolph by Lynsay Sands - 2.5 stars
It's a cute story, really. This story is a continuation of a story The Claire Switch Project in the Dates From HellAnthology. Yes, they can be read on their own, however, they make way more sense when they are read in order. The story continues with the destabilizer now in Claire and Kyle's basement. The destabilizer turns people into shape shifters. Jill gets zapped and Jill spends the day getting chased by one of Kyle's old associates. It's a cute love story and probably the first time I've ever encountered a "make-out" break. Like, you are being chased by a scientist that wants to slice and dice you, you don't have time to make out! Cute story, not great.

Six by Marjorie M. Liu - 2 stars
This story starts with the longest sentence ever. Over 300 characters. I know this because I put it in one of my updates. It's a vampire story set in China. Very different. Quite original. I just could not get into this story.

The Harvest by Vicki Pettersson -2.5 stars
A story about Light and Shadows. Zoe Archer is trying to protect a premature baby. The baby disappears and Zoe must find her. Interesting concept. I thought that the resolution was just too simple. Again I could not get into this story.

So there you have it. One good story and probably because I like Kim Harrison's Hollows series. Borrow from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.

August 30, 2010 – Shelved
September 4, 2010 – Started Reading
page 10
2.67% "First story is a story about an 18 year old Rachel Morgan before she joined the I.S."
page 37
9.89% "Pierce is in this story!"
page 111
September 5, 2010 –
page 201
53.74% "Lynsay Sands story was a continuation of the Claire Switch Project from another anthology."
September 6, 2010 –
page 201
53.74% "It was an accident that the Foreign Minister's wife was found-her body had been hidden quite carefully, in several different locations-but the fortuitous combination of the harsh Beijing winter and several hungry dogs made her discovery quite immediate, without time for decay, and once the forensic team had finished analyzing the woman's remains, it was only a matter of time before the military became involved."
September 6, 2010 –
page 230
61.5% "This story has potential to be good, I'm just not into it."
September 6, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I have vowed only to borrow them from the library.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Anthologies are hit and miss for me too, AH. I have about 20-30 sitting on my bookshelves, ones I've gotten for short stories from authors I love. Not all stories are winners, but for the most part I at least enjoy some of them.

message 3: by Desperado (new)

Desperado Zosia wrote: "Grrr, anthologies. I'm almost always disappointed, and yet I continue to buy them."

Likewise. I find it amusing how sometimes a beloved author can be great at writing full-length novels but can suck at writing a short. Maybe they need more leg room than a short can provide.

Great review, AH. Forwarned is forearmed & I was already a little iffy since I hate holiday themed anthologies. Thanks for sharing.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Thanks, LL! Sometimes I read them just to get exposure to authors I haven't read yet. But if a story is lacking, I don't read that author again. Probably not fair of me, I know.