Lila's Reviews > Cursed by Fire

Cursed by Fire by Danielle Annett
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6659789
's review

did not like it
bookshelves: no


Ok, no.

I will never understand how people think they can get away with such a blatant copying of elements from massively popular series like Kate Daniels or Psy/Changeling.


Just no.



I'll name few similarities:

1) Shifters in this book are infected by virus called Lyc-V (yup, same name) that changes their "chemical makeup" completely and gives them accelerated healing and regenerative abilities.

2)Shifters are Pack and Pack in this book has the same Clan organization as Pack in KD series:
There is a Clan Cat, Clan Wolf, Clan Feloidea (hyenas), Clan Muridea (rodents); Clan Canidea (foxes) and Clan Big (In KD series it's called Clan Heavy) which includes bears.

3)Heroine is a mercenary. She is partnered with a guy named James who is a Pack and he is a Pack's Hunter (like he's Chief of Security or something..) and you know.. Like Lucas from Psy/Changeling series where Hunters are gifted trackers. :\

4)One of alphas of Clan Wolf is called Derek. Alpha of foxes is called Robert, same as Rat alpha in KD series. :\

5)Pack lives in Compound, a tall fortress, surrounded by fence on large piece of property outside of town. In Kate Daniels series it's called Keep and has same structure. (-_-)

6)When main character goes to vampire lair- it's called Coven- she is met by the most beautiful woman she ever saw with waist long red hair whose name is Irina. Reminiscent to Rowena from KD of course.

7)This world after Awakening (Shift) has also Psykers-humans born with psychokinetis powers. Like Psy in Nalini's series.


Every book has this:
"Names, characters, places and incidents are the product of the author’s imagination."

In this case, I find it not to be true.

ETA: I found this interview author gave and unsurprisingly, Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh are her favorite authors.
125 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed by Fire.
Sign In »

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)


message 1: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Schreiner wow.


message 2: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Mandi wrote: "wow."

Wow, indeed.
I threw the worst similarities out there since I wouldn't purchase it if I knew she appropriated so many things. I think other readers who are thinking to buy this deserve to know it.


message 3: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy at Rain and Cupcakes Book Blog I started reading and thought there were similarity (but didn't think too much about it), then I saw the term "Lyc-V" (my inner OS: oh crap), that's when I remembered the tweets I read few days ago. :(


message 4: by Lila (last edited Feb 09, 2015 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Honestly, I had KD flashbacks since beginning because I reread that series often and some scenes are just retelling: Scene where romantic interest saves her (like Curran did with Kate in first two books- it's kind of running joke between them)followed by her waking up in his home in a bed, her wounds are tended. She is relived he didn't take her to hospital because she has to hide her DNA, since it's different and someone may wonder. He offers her a cup of coffee.
She maybe wasn't aware she was retelling scenes but I doubt it.
I, personally,went bonkers because parts and ideas of world building were appropriated.

It's one thing to be inspired to have something similar: Mercy Thompson and Jane Yellowrock series for example both have NA heroine who is a (skin)walker, but are completely different series.
This is heavily borrowing.


Jana Teslow I don't think you've read the book. Your negativity makes no sense. I have a kid in middle school who has this type of nonsense to deal with. Reminds me of boy likes girl, girl likes a different boy, somehow first boy thinks he's the owner of the girl and no one else is allowed to like her. Silly isn't it?! I am enjoying reading Cursed by Fire. I think the story stands on it's own, and it's great! Better than many in this genre. that's my opinion. Happy reading!


message 6: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Hi, Jana!

But you see, this is my opinion as a reader, just like you have yours. You are perfectly fine to write whatever you think about book and I will never comment on your review and insult you subtly or not-so-subtly because I disagree with you.

Thank you for comment!


message 7: by Paul (last edited Feb 10, 2015 12:08AM) (new)

Paul Great review hon!!

Weed out the copy cats, it's just disgraceful that someone would so blatantly even try to rip off SO MANY different peoples work and try and bundle it into one book. Like fans of the genre like you would miss this, NOT!! I'll pass out of pure principle, thank you!

P.S. have you read The Protector? I think you might like it.


message 8: by Kazza (new)

Kazza Oh dear, Lege. How dare you have an opinion. Pffft.


message 9: by Lila (last edited Feb 10, 2015 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila @Paul- You have to be more specific. Who wrote it?

@Kazza - I always point similarities when I see them. From top of my head... Amelia Hutchins used same Priya thing (sex crazed state humans are in after having sex with Fae) KMM has in her series, but 1)she used different name for it and 2)her story is original enough not to be mixed at all with Fever series
Reading this I felt like I was in fanfic since there are Derek, Robert, Jennifer and Mauro in one scene.. :\ I can understand one thing or two to be same, but when you use same clan organization for your Pack, same name for virus, same description for Keep Compound, names are seriously last straw.


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't personally think, some of the similarities are even similarities though. I don't see how the authors awakening is like the shift at all since the awakening is basically like paranormals who'd always been there coming outta the closet and the shift is magic and tech going at it where one sec cars and guns work and the next, magic takes over and no tech works.

With the LycV thing though, which seems to be the biggest issue, the author did an interview talking about what research she did for her book and mentioned utilizing The Natural History of the UnNatural world which was the word Lyc-V in the very synopsis as an abbreviation for the lycanthropy virus, the way the author used the word. In the KD series, Ilona does have the same Lyc-V but for the Lyvos Virus. Both use an abreviate but for different virus' and the UnNatural world book was published 10 years before the first KD.

My opinion on names though is that they're not a big deal, Derek and Robert are soooo common. I have dozens of UF books with those names and the characters seems to play different roles so it seems coincidental to me but thats just my opinion. I think people should read it for themselves and not let one bad review make them stere clear. After reading other reviews here for the book, a lot of ppl have said it has a KD feel but one reviewer even specifically said, "I saw quite a bit of parallels and influence from the Kate Daniel's world. It's not a copy cat story just set in another city/state. But with the similarities, it made me feel comfortable right away - like visiting a distant relative and finding familial traits to bond over."


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

sorry typo, Lycos Virus for the KD series, not Lyvos lol


message 12: by Lila (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Hey, Sara!

Thank you for your thoughtful and polite comment and information about Lyc-V. I never heard of The Natural History of the UnNatural World before. I would argue, though, that when UF readers hear word Lyc-V first association that pops in their head would be Kate Daniels series. I don't know the background behind word both authors used and how it comes to be, but if author did research and decided to use same word as Ilona Andrews duo then I think it was a bad choice, hers or her editor's, who ever made that call.
The reason I find Lyc-V problematic here, though, is because it's not just that one thing; it's not just names (all 5 of them)- it's a list of things. And with Lyc-V she pointed big glowing finger at KD series.
I honestly didn't feel like I was visiting an old friend: when I noticed one thing, then another, then another, I became annoyed. As a reader and as paying customer. In my opinion, ideas, world building elements and quite a few scenes were heavily borrowed from KD series and it happened in quantity it warranted my rating.
I mentioned Awakening more in the way of transitional event for both series, but in my review it's pointed because of Psykers, which I find similar to Nalini Singh series, especially Sienna who as X-Psy has ability to produce fire. Whole Inarus plot was reminiscent to Pure Psy movement. And all of this would not be so annoying to me, if I hadn't come across bunch of other similarities.

ETA:typo


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your response. I think this is where we probably just disagree though because even the Psy books I think are different since in Nalini's books, the Psy race's abilities are all mental and there is the whole Silence thing going on. The psykers seem to have a lot more of an elemental influence and Sienna in the psy books isn't a pyrokinetic. If I remember right (it's been a while since I read Kiss of Snow) but her ability isn't even centered on fire. She has like this blazing ability and fire happens to be a bi-product but she isn't in any way, a pyrokinetic like this authors main character.

Using Lyc-V may have been a bad decision on the authors part because you're right, Andrews is very popular, but at least it was founded in research and used as an abbreviation for a different virus and not blatant copying like some people are trying to say it was. I think people would assume they were both referring to the same bc of the abbreviation but like I said in my last comment, in CbF its for the lycanthropy virus and in KD it is the Lycos Virus. If you wanted to take a look at the Unnatural world book, you can find it here A Natural History Of The Unnatural World: Discover What Crytozoology Can Teach Us About Over One Hundred Fabulous Creatures That Inhabit Earth, Sea And Sky though the amazon version has the word in the synopsis where the GR one doesn't and I doubt you want to actually read the whole book to find it LOL http://www.amazon.com/Natural-History...

But yea, maybe her editors should have cautioned her, who knows. I think this genre as a whole has similarities though, that you can find in several books. An example being, in the KD books, Andrews uses the term Friend of the Pack and I know there was some controversy there with this author using it too, but in Charlaine Harris' book Dead as A Doornail used the term as well, in the same way, (before the KD books were every published). I think there are just common phrases, themes, ect that you find in the genre and when you are traditionally published and have a bunch of books behind you, people don't question it. Self published authors are put under a lot more scrutiny.

I really liked this book so I did a lot of follow up on what people were saying in reviews, both good and bad, and (and please don't take this offensively at all bc that is not how i meant it) but I feel like you're using the KD and Psy reference bc the author mentioned in an interview how much she loved those authors books. I don't think most ppl would see the connection bc for me, it is so slight, but again, just my opinion.

Looking at Stephan King for example, he gave a quote and said "If you don't have time to read, then you don't have time (or the tools) to write." The author made it clear that she was a big fan or Andrews, Nalini, and others so I think it is expected that she has a similar feel. You write in a way in which you like to read. I wouldn't expect an author to be a horror reader but write contemp romance lol. I also don't think the author would have so publicly said she loves their books if she had intended to copy them.


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Lege wrote: "@Paul- You have to be more specific. Who wrote it?

@Kazza - I always point similarities when I see them. From top of my head... Amelia Hutchins used same Priya thing (sex crazed state humans are i..."


How did you get the fanfic feel with the characters you mentioned though when they weren't similar in character just name. I know in some fanfic ppl leave the same character but use a diff name but in here it was the same name (common names) but entirely diff characters.

In KD
Robert is a Rat Alpha
Mauro works for the Order (not shifter)
Derek is boy wonder werewolf and KDs good friend
Jennifer is psycho wolf alpha who lost her mate and tries to hurt KD.

In CbF
Robert is a coyote who is drop dead gorgeous but crazy
Mauro is bear beta who is HUGE but like a big ole teddy bear
Derek is wolf Alpha, we see him in one scene
Jennifer is Bear beta mated to Mauro who is tiny with blonde hair and blue eyes and seems nothing like a bear even though she is one.

so yes, same names but different roles and different characterization.


message 15: by Lila (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila @Sara- No, this is healthy discussion and I am really not offended at all, you argue my opinion, not insult me as a person. Thank you for that.

Re Sienna: Sienna has ability to produce cold-fire, but, ok, I admit it's stretch.

Re interview influence: I actually wrote all this before I found interview, because I went searching for reviews after to see if there is anyone who listed what's similar. You wrote that most people wouldn't notice similarities: I didn't write an opinion of most people- I wrote mine. I noticed similarities and rated this book the way I felt about it.

Re fanfic comment:

"Reading this I felt like I was in fanfic since there are Derek, Robert, Jennifer and Mauro in one scene.. :\ I can understand one thing or two to be same, but when you use same clan organization for your Pack, same name for virus, same description for Keep Compound, names are seriously last straw."

One scene.


message 16: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila You wrote this scene and decided to name your characters by pack characters from KD series and one character whose name is not so common to be considered so random? Tbh, when it comes to names I was seriously considering was she subconsciously projecting KD, because, come on... Imagine I write a scene about werewolf pack and name them Adam, Bran, Samuel and Stefan.


message 17: by Cord (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cord Newman @Lege
It has become abundantly clear that you have no actual evidence to suggest that this is a work of plagiarism, as soon as you scratch the surface of where both authors have done their research. Besides the fact that as soon as you mention that Cursed by Fire resembles two different books, you have automatically granted license for one of those two books to plagiarize the other while condemning this publication for no apparent reason. The bullet points you have provided are ALL blanket topics that are either popular lore among these themes, or simply an element in all books. Since you have over 300 reviews, it’s likely you didn’t give this much thought at all. Let’s cover these ludicrous accusations piece by piece.
1) Lyc-v accusations: Lyc- V also referred to as Clinical lycanthropy is defined as a rare psychiatric syndrome that involves a delusion that the affected person can transform into, has transformed into, or is a non-human animal. Its name is connected to the mythical condition of lycanthropy, a supernatural affliction in which humans are said to physically shapeshift into wolves. As this condition has been a part of wolf lore long before either of the publications you claim Cursed by Fire is derived from. I suppose you are accusing said publication of plagiarism as well, no? It’s only natural for authors to research the topic and discover similar lore. But you see fit to make serious accusations without considering the establish lore surrounding the theme. It’s DISGRACEFUL! “This is where it has become apparent to me that you didn’t actually do your research”
2,3,&5 You suggest that because Cursed by Fire includes multiple popular mythological factions, who have a home base, AND a hierarchy that includes a general or as you put it “Chief of security” that it is plagiarism. These Elements are included in thousands of stories before either of the publications you mentioned. They are functions of human nature that are parallel in most good stories. This is a blanket generalization and nothing more. Just mentioning them is so absurd that I have a difficult time caring to even address.
4 &6 Again, you are attacking examples of the popular mythological creature’s and their commonly accepted criteria. Wolves and Vampires tend to have similar characteristics in thousands of publications; wolves for example in reality have an Alpha who is the leader, but that doesn’t mean all other books in which werewolf’s have an alpha, are plagiarism of Jacob in Twilight. Furthermore most examples of vampires I have found suggest that they are attractive, seductive creatures, who dwell in creepy, dark, cold places. But I suppose under your interpretation of the word the fangs are also a result of plagiarism as well.
Considering all loose connections you have made coupled with your well over 300 book reviews you have written make it seem like your work as a “critic” is geared towards bulking up your reviews in order to be recognized, not by the quality of your review. Some people who read your review might agree with you because you appear to have authority on the issue based on the volume of your reviews. Also it appears that you have a habit targeting low budget authors who are less likely to defend themselves while jumping on the band wagon to defend the already more popular stories, a politically safe strategy. But I for one won’t stand for it. I recommend you either remove your bogus review of this book and move on to your next attack of an author who may have spent YEARS writing their book just to be dismissed by your 10 minute review. Because I intend to submit a request to have your post removed and in spite of your SPOILERS and deliberate half assed attempt to hurt the author’s reputation, I don’t wish to publicly call YOUR reputation into question.


message 18: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Schreiner She wrote a well thought out review. We are all allowed to post our opinions on the book. She thinks it's too similar to two other series - others don't. That's why we have Goodreads, to share our opinions.

The bad reviews are just as allowed as the good ones are.


message 19: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila What reputation?????? o_O
I am not a blogger or a professional reviewer.


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally get it, and totally value your opinion. I think we are all entitled to them, obviously, thats why we bother reviewing in the first place, to voice our thoughts and opinions about books.

I guess what I'll end on (and then I'll stop bugging you, sorry lol) is that your opinion for me, felt like an accusation, a pretty serious one too. You didn't mention how you felt about the story, plot, characters, tension, ect. You just commented on how you felt the author copied another author and basically accused them of plagiarism which is a stretch. We as reviewers have a lot of power with the words that we say and I think (like all super heros say) with great power, comes great responsibility. I've written one star reviews before, and believe in being critical but "accusations" can end careers and lead to legal action or just outright hatred from people who aren't even familiar with the books.

I really like Andrew's books and totally support her as an author. I've read her entire series, but people will hate this new author bc they love Andrews so much and it becomes a 'how dare you' thing bc someone said she copied. They wont read for themselves and will hate the author on 'principle' like the earlier comment above.

I think reviews should tell an author what they did well and what they can improve on. They're meant to bridge the gap between reader and writer giving us a clear line in and giving the author the chance to use our feedback to improve their craft.

I believe in being critical. I don't believe in accusations though because like you said, these are our opinions. We are entitled to them and we can certainly share them. I think accusations are something entirely different so I'd encourage you just to consider that maybe for the future. There have been a lot of bloggers discussing as of late if they think the blogging world has too much power. I left a few links below in case you wanted to see any of them, I think they make a lot of good points on how we should consider how our reviews effect the author bc we absolutely should hare our thoughts! But we shouldn't be defamatory

Thanks for the dialogue, it was good talking with you.






http://nicksbookblog93.blogspot.com/2...

http://mostlyyabookobsessed.com/2015/...

http://www.theredrocket.co.uk/blog/bl...


message 21: by Cord (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cord Newman Then go away and stop spoiling the story.


message 22: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Thanks, Sara, I'll check it out. :)


message 23: by Has (last edited Feb 10, 2015 12:40PM) (new)

Has Sara wrote: "Totally get it, and totally value your opinion. I think we are all entitled to them, obviously, thats why we bother reviewing in the first place, to voice our thoughts and opinions about books.

I ..."

R
Honestly, I think this is pretty patronizing post. Firstly, Lege made relevant points and its beyond a coincidence with many, many similarities between the two series. Ideas and tropes can be similar but when you have details like names, character archetypes, and terms and even scenes that's not basic/shared ideas or tropes. This reminds me of Sunny who ripped off LKH and Anne Bishop, and many readers at the time raised this with their reviews. So this is not a unique thing.

Secondly, Goodreads is a place for readers for readers even though authors are encouraged to use the site for promotion and to interact with readers. So there is no good way or bad way on how to review a book. If a reader finds issues and problems with a text, then they should have the right to raise this and for others to have a discourse about a book. Without free discussion or indepth reviews highlighting problematic issues, then many authors would not be aware of their intelectual property would be under threat.
And finally, in an age when increasing amount of bloggers and reviewers have given up because of harrassment or bullying because they dared to voice critical reviews or have outspoken opinions, I disagree about the growing power of bloggers because when you have authors stalking, doxxing or sending out the sockpuppets who have recently joined Goodreads and to then post on reviews which raise issues about a book which they have every right to do so.

And considering this author who is also a blogger from what I understand should have known better to understand and realise that using these terms and names/character archetypes in her books. Because if the tables were turned, you would probably make a similar post that Lege wrote.


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Great review, Lege. I think you raise a lot of really great points. Most PNR/UF seems really derivative to me already, so something like this would probably really annoy me as well.


message 25: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila Nenia wrote: "Great review, Lege. I think you raise a lot of really great points. Most PNR/UF seems really derivative to me already, so something like this would probably really annoy me as well."

Thanks, Nenia. I really found similarities difficult to shake off and concentrate on a story. :\


Rebecca Fyfe You will find similarities in most books within the urban fantasy genre. That doesn't mean someone has ripped off the story elements. For example, long before I ever read Ilona Andrews' books (which I love, by the way), I found "friend of the pack" (and possibly even "Lyc-V" as well), being used in other books, such as Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Charlaine Harris' True Blood series, Kim Harrison's Hollows series, SM Reine's Descent series and Ascent series, Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series, Shannon Mayer's Rylee Adamson series and more.


message 27: by Lou (new)

Lou Thank you, Lege, for this review and for pointing out these very troublesome similarities.


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Has wrote: "Sara wrote: "Totally get it, and totally value your opinion. I think we are all entitled to them, obviously, thats why we bother reviewing in the first place, to voice our thoughts and opinions abo..."

Hi Has
Some of what you mentioned though, doesn't add up.
I agree that lege has every right to their post. If you read my earlier comments, I never attacked them for it at all. We were having a very civil discussion and I think we are both ok with where it went and ended.

You mentioned in your comment that names, character archetypes, and terms and even scenes were the same but I only agree with the names comment. Yes, they had similar names but no, not similar character archetypes at all. I didn't see similar scenes, and I think the author gets a pass on the term Lyc-V bc she used it in a common way. We've established that Andrews is more popular and that it may have been a bad idea on the authors part to use it since ppl with associate Andrews with it, but the author didn't "steal" it. She did her research it looks like, and she used it as an abbreviation for an entirely different virus. Andrews is for the Lycos Virus and CbF uses it for lycanthropy virus. It would be a whole different story if she took the Lycos virus, but she didnt.

So of those four comments, I only see one being true, and similar names wouldn't make me hate a book.

But Lege, in regards to the, what if someone wrote a book with Adam, Bran, Samual, and Stephan, (characters from the Mercy Thompson books) while it is clear that the KD books had the character names first, the names do come from all minor characters at least.

I think it would entirely different if it was Curran, Kate, Ghastik, and Julie. All of whom are main characters in the KD world just as those listed above are main characters in the MT books, not minor ones.


message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebecca wrote: "You will find similarities in most books within the urban fantasy genre. That doesn't mean someone has ripped off the story elements. For example, long before I ever read Ilona Andrews' books (whic..."

Thanks for sharing Rebecca, you make a really good point in that these are things we do see often.


message 30: by Has (new)

Has Sara wrote: "Has wrote: "Sara wrote: "Totally get it, and totally value your opinion. I think we are all entitled to them, obviously, thats why we bother reviewing in the first place, to voice our thoughts and ..."


I actually came across a book which had Sam, Ben, Mercy and Adam as characters and it was pretty obvious it was pulled to published fanfiction. Although the author switched to angels and demons instead of werewolves and vampires.

And Anne Bishop looked into Sunny because she was upset about the similarities because of shared names and character type. It went beyond one coincidence. But this is where we can agree to disagree :D But you're free to express your opnion but so is Lege and others. But I always believed a good book will stand out by itself.

And I forgot to add that Lege I found your review honest and well written and thanks for highlighting interesting points!


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

now just outta curiosity, are we talking about Sunny, author of the Mona Lisa series or a different one? She's the only Sunny I could think of


message 32: by Has (new)

Has Sara wrote: "now just outta curiosity, are we talking about Sunny, author of the Mona Lisa series or a different one? She's the only Sunny I could think of"

Yes, which she thanked LKH and Anne Bishop for her inspiration. But Bishop couldn't sue probably for the same reasons that Meyer couldn't sue the Twificcers. But that doesn't negate the fact there were similarities compared to other books with similar premises or tropes.


message 33: by Lila (last edited Feb 10, 2015 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila @Sara- Ok, you know when you wrote me that you think I am exaggerating in some points? I also think you are exaggerating about this: minor characters or not, they are characters I immediately tie in my head to KD series. Especially in context of same pack organization, same scene (where heroine goes to Keep/Compound), where Compound has same description as Keep... I have my opinion, but you are also giving your best not to justify your opinion as much as to justify author.
I am not a blogger, I don't even have any SN accounts, these comments are not showing on my feed for my GR friends to see them. I wrote a review, my opinion and for that I was insulted, called immature, and attacked by author's friends.
Did I go to positive reviews and point everything I disagree with? Did I insult them? No.
I wrote a review, things I didn't like about book. I thought that was the point of GR.

ETA: fixed typos


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the Sunny books and really enjoyed them but I'll admit to not having read Anne's books even though I've been meaning to along with LKH who's are on my shelf but sadly untouched...so many books, so little time.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why Sunny stopped writing the series. After reading the last book in 2011 where the series absolutely did not end, the books just stopped coming. Which for me was kind of sad bc i'd been hooked on them at the time. Enough time has passed now though that I don't really remember much aside from in general, liking the books.


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Lege wrote: "@Sara- Ok, you know when you wrote me that you think I am exaggerating in some points? I also think you are exaggerating about this: minor characters or not, they are characters are immediately tie..."

Yeah, you don't often see people going on positive reviews and ganging up on the reviewers, like, "How could you like this, and yet you hate other books? You're such a hypocrite! Anyone who likes this book clearly hasn't written a book or isn't a professional blogger!"

Personally, whenever I see all these accounts ganging up on negative reviews, my first thought is that it's a bunch of sock puppets created by the author and/or the author's friends, and it makes me want to NOT read the book way more than any mere negative review did.

But that's just me.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Lege wrote: "@Sara- Ok, you know when you wrote me that you think I am exaggerating in some points? I also think you are exaggerating about this: minor characters or not, they are characters are immediately tie..."

I'm sorry you were insulted. If you feel I've insulted you, I apologize for that bc it was never my intention to make you feel that way with my comments or my opinions.


message 37: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila @Nenia - the thing I don't understand is this: If friends or anyone who disagrees with me wants to help author and support them, why they think this is a good idea? They do them disservice by insulting me and generating traffic on my review. If they are sock puppets, then use them to like all 5 star reviews.

@sara- no, I like your contribution to discussion. We disagree about this, but I liked that Stephen King quote. ;)


message 38: by Lila (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila I never read Sunny, but mostly because I read reviews about it and they were really polarizing.
I did read Anne Bishop. I guess she was referring to Black Jewels trilogy?


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Lege wrote: "I never read Sunny, but mostly because I read reviews about it and they were really polarizing.
I did read Anne Bishop. I guess she was referring to Black Jewels trilogy?"


i just read dear authors review from way back when ( googled it) and she mentioned the simalarites but was on the fence about the book itself, gave it a C rating i guess


message 40: by Has (new)

Has Lege wrote: "I never read Sunny, but mostly because I read reviews about it and they were really polarizing.
I did read Anne Bishop. I guess she was referring to Black Jewels trilogy?"


Yep! She used same names, court system and parallel worlds and Dark Lord/father and son. It was pretty blatant.


message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Lege wrote: "I never read Sunny, but mostly because I read reviews about it and they were really polarizing.
I did read Anne Bishop. I guess she was referring to Black Jewels trilogy?"


I wouldn't let all the reviews turn you away though bc like I said, I do remember really liking the Sunny books, though I wouldn't recommend them anymore bc the series isnt finished and the author isn't writing anymore so you get no ending satisfaction


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Lege wrote: "@Nenia - the thing I don't understand is this: If friends or anyone who disagrees with me wants to help author and support them, why they think this is a good idea? They do them disservice by insul..."

I've actually thought about this a lot, because I get trolled pretty frequently, and as a writer thinking about people's motivations is kind of a hobby. But I do think there's a lot of different things that make people do this:

1) The person has a personality type that really hates being wrong, and they have to have the last word at all times. Commenting on negative reviews gives them a sense of closure and makes them feel like they've taught the reviewer a 'lesson.'

2) The person is hoping that if they're mean and intimidating enough, the reviewer might take the review down or not post as many reviews in the future. (Unfortunately I HAVE seen this happen, and it's really heartbreaking to see.)

3) If it IS the author making sock puppets, sometimes they know they're generating traffic but don't care because they think that there's no such thing as bad publicity. When an author gets branded as a badly behaved author, they get talked about a LOT, and sometimes they think of this as a tactic that will push sales.

4) The person is just clueless and angry and hasn't thought what they're doing through. These are usually the people who apologize when they get called on their shit.


message 43: by Lila (last edited Feb 10, 2015 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lila @Sara - We read same Da thing. :)

One commenter wrote:

"It’s more than similarities of concepts it’s similarities of scenes that I can’t stomach."

I had the same feeling about this book.
Whoever mentioned this situation (Has!), thank you, because it's possible for person not to enjoy book because similarities are distracting and it happened before. And it's possible for others not to be bothered with.
I don't see Sunny ruined because some readers hated her book.

@Nenia- I have to admit, I did feel a bit intimidated by the level of hate in ugly comment. It never happened to me before. If this is what you're going through often, I admire you for logging in every day and reviewing.


Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell Yeah, the more popular you become on this site, the more trolls you get. In a way, it's like a compliment. It means that you're well known enough that people -- even the wrong people -- are starting to sit up and take notice. So kudos to you.

Part of the reason I get so much crap is that I'm an author, and there is a small minority of people that don't think authors should negatively review other authors. I was actually having a conversation about this with another writer on Twitter last night. It's funny, because one of the arguments some trolls tell regular reviewers is, "You try writing and publishing a book some time!" But if you have, it's, "You should have some sympathy!" or "You're just doing this for the attention because you're a failure and a hack!"

The hate and the ugliness can be really unpleasant. I'm not going to lie -- I've cried before, or gone into periods of really deep depression because of how bad things got. But it gets better. Words can hurt, but only as much as you let them. And to stop doing what you love because of a few naysayers only hurts yourself.

If you love reviewing, Lege, then you should keep doing it. Because the people on this site who enjoy your reviews, and the friends you've made on this site, are what Goodreads is really all about: positive connections through books. :)


message 45: by Kazza (last edited Feb 10, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Kazza Cord wrote: "@Lege
It has become abundantly clear that you have no actual evidence to suggest that this is a work of plagiarism, as soon as you scratch the surface of where both authors have done their research..."


Wow, you have a lot of time to post your thoughts on someone else's review. Expend that effort on your own review, you know, your OWN thoughts and opinions of the book in your very own forum. As for Lege, this reviewer has incredible analytical perception and reviews. I agree with her, too many similarities. Once people have to say things such as 'this seems like, but it isn't' - you know it's 'just like.'

Oh, and she's not a NYT critic, she reviews for nothing on GR. It's her opinion, and I'll take her informed opinion any time over your angry-ant-squee-fan-comments. I'd mind your own rep if I were you.
It's known that negative reviews are being targeted by this author and her "fans", not a good look for her. Right now, I wouldn't touch this author or book with a 50 foot barge pole. Thanks, Cord, you and the other private setting review trolls have helped me make my decision not to buy and not to read.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ouch, lets not get ugly because someone else did, please

I feel like I'm being called a troll because I disagreed (respectfully) and have my settings on private but I felt we had a good open discussion. The purpose behind GR, to discuss.

Can we not name call. Lege has their GR profile on private too. Not all of us like sharing our personal info with ppl we don't know so I don't think this means we deserve to be name called.

Thank you.


message 47: by Kazza (new)

Kazza Sara wrote: "Ouch, lets not get ugly because someone else did, please

I feel like I'm being called a troll because I disagreed (respectfully) and have my settings on private but I felt we had a good open discu..."


You jump onto someone else's review, you are all condescending, you deserve anything you get, honey. Stay on your review, where is it by the way?


Karma♥Bites ^.~ Oh lawdy... so glad that I decided to peek at review comments upon getting rec for this book. This book sounded right up my alley but then... WHOA, HALT THAT ONE-CLICK! An epic wall-o-blather from Cord Newman, who had so freakin' much to say here but couldn't be bother to post thoughts in own review. FML...

Didn't see it so instead, took liberty of copying Cord's *cough* glorious...whatever...under spoiler, for posterity.

Cheers all! :)


(view spoiler)


message 49: by Kazza (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:58PM) (new)

Kazza Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Oh lawdy... so glad that I decided to peek at review comments upon getting rec for this book. This book sounded right up my alley but then... WHOA, HALT THAT ONE-CLICK! An epic wall-o-blather from..."

Absolutely, they've always got a mouthful to say on someone else's review - not allowed to have an opinion that goes against their rating, ya know :) - but they can't write their own reviews. Says a whole lot.

Agreed, there's a bunch of us not going anywhere near this book now.


message 50: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Feb 10, 2015 07:05PM) (new) - added it

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Jana wrote: "I don't think you've read the book. Your negativity makes no sense. I have a kid in middle school who has this type of nonsense to deal with. ..."

So says 49yo Jana Teslow whose first sentence outta gate = I don't think you've read the book .

Everyone, pls note the negative in that sentence, as well as implied assertion that Lege is lying. Also, note non sequitur (and ambiguous/wtf) reference to middle school. *sighs/smh @ pot*

etc: forgot links


« previous 1 3
back to top