Caz Malpas's Reviews > Soaring

Soaring by Kristen Ashley

3.75 SOARING TO 4 STARS

Love, love, loved The Will, but just liked Soaring. Way to much harping on about furniture placement and decoration for me. I feel like I have committed sacrilege, as I ended up skim reading the interior design descriptions, and any self respecting KA fan NEVER does this. It's fair to say that for me the first 20% was hard work in the fact that I didn't want to carry on reading it, but made myself. I didn't connect with Amy, I thought Mickey was a bit of a nob head actually, but I adored Aisling and Cillian. Then.........

Enter Mrs Fickleknickers...... I changed my opinion and starting enjoying the blossoming relationship between the H and h and their story.

Did I think the book was too long? For me yes it was, there are only so many ways you can describe a sectional sofa or a colour scheme or a comforter and really KA's usual stories are that brilliant you don't need all that interior design descriptions crap. I'm all for setting the scene and believe the devils in the detail, but for me it was overkill.

I hate the fact that I'm probably alone in my feelings towards this book, and I really, really wanted to love, love, love it but I didnt, and I'm left feeling underwhelmed and missing that amazing feeling that is guaranteed to come after finishing a book written by KA!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soaring.

February 5, 2015 – Shelved
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: monthly-group-read
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: neighbours-who-fall-in-love
March 19, 2015 – Shelved as: troubled-pasts
March 19, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Malinda I can't blame you...I will skim the descriptions as well sometimes. I don't mind them all the time but at times KA gets so caught up in describing her surroundings and clothing that it's hard to keep track of the story and that bothers me. I mean I've read some KA books where it took 2 or 3 pages to describe what the heroine was wearing and in my opinion that's just too much. So you're not alone. :D

message 2: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz Malpas Malinda wrote: "I can't blame you...I will skim the descriptions as well sometimes. I don't mind them all the time but at times KA gets so caught up in describing her surroundings and clothing that it's hard to ke..."

It's good to know I'm not alone so thanks for that, I think because there was so much of the descriptives going on in the first part of the book before the story got going it wasn't keeping my attention and so I was picking it up, then putting it down, I just found it all a bit much in this book, however it's still a good book and picks up in true KA style. ;-)

Khrystena Ive beenattempting to start this book for days. I agree with you there. I will push through but I was worried until I read your review.

Stacie Nice review! I agree with you, Caz. Way too much decorating description. And Mickey got on my nerves the first half of the book. But I did end up enjoying the book overall.

Diana Awesome review Mrs. Fickleknickers. I am a little nervous coz I am only 11% in. I will sally forth...

message 7: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz Malpas Khrystena wrote: "Ive beenattempting to start this book for days. I agree with you there. I will push through but I was worried until I read your review."

I think it's worth sticking with. It picks up both in storyline and reading pace, hope you like it Khrystena :)

message 8: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz Malpas Stacie wrote: "Nice review! I agree with you, Caz. Way too much decorating description. And Mickey got on my nerves the first half of the book. But I did end up enjoying the book overall."

Thanks Stacie, I am glad you ended up liking it too.

message 9: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz Malpas Diana wrote: "Awesome review Mrs. Fickleknickers. I am a little nervous coz I am only 11% in. I will sally forth..."

Thanks Di, you know how I love to wear my knickers of fickleness proudly ;)

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Loved your review! I think it's perfectly acceptable to skim when the description becomes too intense!!! I didn't connect with Mickey at all but I did like Amy. I'm quite proud that you powered through such a long book when you weren't loving it. Well done! :D

message 11: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz Malpas Elizabeth wrote: "Loved your review! I think it's perfectly acceptable to skim when the description becomes too intense!!! I didn't connect with Mickey at all but I did like Amy. I'm quite proud that you powered ..."

Thanks Elizabeth :)