Maria's Reviews > Porcelain

Porcelain by Jess C. Scott

Aug 29, 2010

Read from August 29 to October 04, 2010

I previously read Jess C Scott's book 'Eyeleash: A blog Novel' and I absolutely loved that, so I was keen to read 'Porcelain'. I wasn't disappointed.
I was going to give it 4 stars because for me, the essays at the end of the book are a bit much. As I haven't read any of the books which the author has written about, I couldn't really get into the essays. But then I realised that for anyone who has read those books, Jess C Scott's essays would be interesting to read, so I can understand why she has included them in the book and I've upped my rating to 5 stars.
'Porcelain' is a wonderful collection of short stories, poems, sketches, essays and blogs. It is an insight into the world of this highly original author. I think Jess C Scott is one of the authors at the forefront of a new revolution in the publishing industry which is leading the way for writers to be able to publish their work easily online (self-publish/indie publishing) without the "middleman" as Jess C Scott puts it in one of her essays. As an indie author myself, I enjoyed reading her article about 'Indie Vs. traditional publishing'
I love the short stories, which are thought provoking and extremely well written. I like the way the author has included stories in 'Porcelain' that she wrote as a child, showing her 'evolution' as a writer.
'Porcelain' is a fun read, and a great showcase of Jess C Scott's talent as a writer. She has made this book available as a free download on her website and has included excerpts of her novels and up-coming work, which is a great idea as her audience can then get a preview of her books and decide whether or not they would want to read more. It's a great concept. It is clear from reading this book that this artist lives and breathes for her writing. I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Porcelain.