Lissa Bryan's Reviews > Éire's Devil King

Éire's Devil King by Sandi Layne

This is how historical fiction should be done.

Sandi Layne returns us to the Green Isle, where Charis and her family have settled. It's a beautifully rich portrait of life in the 830s, when Christianity was just gaining a foothold in the area, and there was a vibrant mix of cultures. Meticulously researched and carefully detailed, you can practically smell the smoke from the fires, and the pungent aroma of Charis's drying herbs.

Charis and her family are happy in their little village, and save from the occasional incursion of the Danes, they have a peaceful, prosperous life. Until the dreaded word "Sails!" Is heard.

Tuirgeis has come to visit the man he sees as a brother, and like Cowan, he wants to settle in Eire, but not as a simple farmer. No, his ambitions are far grander than that. Whether they like it or not, Charis and her family will be pulled back into battle, and they will pay a terrible price for it. Even Charis's skills as a healer and her powerful magic are not always enough to protect those she loves.

Though this book didn't have the romantic storyline included in the others, love was a deep and abiding theme, as was loyalty to family and leaders. Bonds will be tested and hearts will be broken.

Aside from the well-detailed setting, the characters think, speak, and act as people of their times, which can be slightly discomfiting for modern readers at times. But it is a beautifully drawn portrait of ninth century life, brutal edges and all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Éire's Devil King.

February 4, 2015 – Started Reading
February 4, 2015 – Shelved
February 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 5, 2015 –
0.0% ""Why is there a raven on my writing desk?" -- Yes, I laughed out loud."
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: a-little-bit-of-magic
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: excellent-research
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: ff-writers-original-fiction
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: medicine-woman
February 5, 2015 – Shelved as: vikings
February 5, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Lissa Bryan I've read nearly half of this in one sitting, and I'm enoying it immensely.