Rebecca Morales's Reviews > Pieces of Me

Pieces of Me by Carrigan Richards

bookshelves: read-in-2015

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Here is a brief synopsis:
One second. Seventeen-year-old Corinne has everything. Her life. Family. Friends. Boyfriend. But in that one second, she loses it all. Now she's left with harrowing nightmares. Hallucinations. And panic attacks that seem to come out of nowhere. She tries everything to take the pain away, but there's only one option she sees as a true way out. When Corinne is sent to live in a psychiatric institution, she doesn't want to talk. It's pointless. They can't help her. But slowly Corinne opens up and wants to remember what it's like to be happy so she begins reliving her past life to her doctor. She knows she can't live in the past, but she sees no future and is faced with the hardest decision of her life.

This book was a charming, a tear jerking, nonstop page turner. I read about 60 percent of this book this morning.

The book begins with Corinne being institutionalized by her parents after a suicide attempt. It is through her therapy sessions and interactions with her roommate, Emma, that we find out what brought her to that point. In other young adult novels, we don't really see the time lapse between problem and recovery, Richards made sure to describe the treatment as a long process. Corinne entered in May wtih nightmares, panic attacks, and hallucinations. We see her getting diagnosed put on medications and going to individual as well as group therapy. I think it is vital to show that recovery is possible, but it is not a quick fix, Richards handled these serious subjects beautifully.

Corinne was such a well written character. We learn through the flashback and therapy sessions that she was really a shy and sheltered girl. She only had a small group of friends, that consisted of her brother (David), his bestfriend, his girlfriend/Corinne's best friend (Abby), During her junior year she begins dating a senior named James, who is literally perfect to the point of it being annoying, and she befriends a new girl name LIsa.

When the accident happens the grief that consumes Corinne is just overwhelming. My heart ached for her. She was so numb, her parents were absent lost in their own grief, her boyfriend wasn't returning her calls, and her best friend was pushing her into a new life that she wasn't sure she wanted. I felt that her pain was so real and so intense, I cried along with her.

I really wanted to give this book an A, but there were a few things that stopped me. I hate the cover of the book, I don't think it gives you any information about the story or the characters. I disliked her boyfriend, I felt that he was just too perfect, almost saintly at times. LIsa was his exact opposite, she was just so vile. We learn that she had gone through her trauma as well, but instead of working throughout she lashes out at people. Lisa is the type of girl that becomes clinging to a certain person and becomes so jealous when anyone else comes near them.

I give this book a B+. Richards was amazing and created a playlist for this book. I highly recommend everyone to play it when time coms in the book. I guarantee the story and the music will hit you right in the feels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Me.

February 4, 2015 – Started Reading