Patrici's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Book One

F 50x66
Aug 28, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novels, pop-psych

After trudging through pages and pages of one-dimensional character sludge and one too many sequences of dialogue about canned food, I just couldn't do it anymore. I enjoy post-apocalyptic survival stories as much as anyone, but I expected so much more; especially considering all the hype surrounding this title (from the rave reviews on Amazon and GoodReads to the upcoming TV show).

From panel to panel, you get humans trying desperately to fulfill the first level of Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of human needs- breathing, food, water, sex, sleep, homeostasis, excretion. That is to say that Mr. Kirkman, with a stunning mastery, reduces his characters and story to blank human slates (both dead and alive) that express only their most primal instincts (and btw, his view of manly instincts vs. womanly instincts may often be considered sexist).

I guess that's the point. If you're into human psychology and the like, maybe you'll enjoy this as a sort of post-apocalyptic case study of human nature. But not at all will you walk away attached to any one character... I didn't. Except for maybe Rick, but even he lacked the spark of a memorable personality.

Want an interesting post-apocalyptic (Yo)Rick, read Y: The Last Man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Book One.

Started Reading