Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Aug 28, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, dystopian, fiction, scifi, young-adult
Read in November, 2010

After reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner earlier this year, it was inevitable that I would hurry to pick up The Scorch Trials. Before doing so, however, I refreshed my memory with another read-through of The Maze Runner... and I think I liked it even more the second time around.

With The Scorch Trials I found it easier to adapt to the world and the "variables" being thrown at Thomas and his crew, mostly because of how The Maze Runner had prepared me for them. Dashner does a fantastic job of building the tension and then, just when it gets to the breaking point, throwing in something so random, so out of the blue, that the tension subsides and starts to build in another, different way.

What makes The Scorch Trials so different from The Maze Runner is - now that the kids know who WICKED is, they have a bit more knowledge of what is going on - but that still doesn't mean that this book will make complete sense to you, as it doesn't to them. And that is what makes the book so much fun.

There is plenty of action, plenty of excitement and I grew even more attached to these characters, these teenagers struggling in a world where hope seems so dead.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the last book in this trilogy and next year cannot come soon enough. I haven't felt this much anticipation for a book since Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - and while the books are somewhat similar, I really appreciate the teamwork Dashner has chosen to implement in The Maze Runner trilogy and think he's doing a fantastic job of telling his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.