Sophie's Reviews > The Ice Twins

The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne

it was ok

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

I’d been really excited to read The Ice Twins ever since the moment I first saw it mentioned on Twitter. Photos of the proof copy on Twitter showed a great teaser which had me instantly desperate to get my hands on it:

I am Kirstie
I am Lydia

I am confident and loud
I am thoughtful and quiet

I lived
I died

Or did I?

I was massively intrigued by this. Just the thought of it… Being a parent of identical twins, having one of them tragically die so young and then the doubts over which twin it was that had died. It’s a horrific yet completely fascinating premise and the publisher has promoted this book wonderfully – there’s always somebody talking about this book online and every time I saw one of the teaser images for it, I really, really wanted to know whether it was Kirstie or Lydia who had died. I loved the fantastic concept to The Ice Twins and I was sure this was going to be a pretty incredible novel. But instead, I found it to be very disappointing – a novel with tons of promise of which none of it was ever delivered.

Sarah, Angus and Kirstie (or could it be Lydia) are a pretty dysfunctional family, still badly affected by the devastating loss of the other twin. Any sympathy I might have had for them never really surfaced because they’re both pretty unlikeable from the start, a couple I couldn’t imagine had ever been happy, both who have made bad choices with seemingly little regret. The Ice Twins mostly tells us Sarah’s perspective, and her life is turned on its head, again, when her surviving daughter asks her why she’s calling her Kirstie, when Kirstie is dead. That line was quite a powerful moment in the book, my expectations were high, but I soon felt deflated with the rest of the novel. Angus was not an easy character to trust but I never really found myself that suspicious of him either because his character felt flat and lifeless. I thought he needed a lot more development and maybe hearing more from his side would have done that, although I can’t say I would have cared enough about his feelings if the book was told in that way.

The twin creeped me out. Shortly into the book, the family move to a lighthouse keeper’s cottage set in Torran Island. This uproots the daughter and when she goes to her new school, I felt for her a bit because she was judged and found it impossible to make any friends. Most of the time though, I felt she was weird and whether she was Kirstie or Lydia, I wasn’t too enamoured with the thought of either of them. There were a few side characters who added little to the story, nothing that relevant or that made much sense anyway. The character I actually liked most was the dog, which was a kind of pitiful turnout really but that’s not me saying the author’s characterisation was that bad, the dog did genuinely have more personality than most of the cast with his reaction the strange circumstances this family were faced with. When the family moved to the desperately uninviting home set in such treacherous conditions, I actually worried more for the dog than I did the one remaining twin, Sarah or Angus.

The setting was very eerie and I liked the descriptions of the weather and the location. The writing was atmospheric and I would have loved to have seen a bit more of that, to give this book a more chilling edge that I found lacking. However, it was an aspect I enjoyed and the author makes sure you get a vivid picture of the strange place the family have moved to, especially with the inclusion of photos that broke up some of the chapters. I liked this idea. I don’t think it’s too common in fiction and it really added something extra to this book and left me considering what Angus’ motives were for moving his family to such an uncomfortable, cut-off area. The build-up of the setting was my favourite part of this novel.

It took me a little while to get into this story but once I did, I found it difficult to put down because I was in anticipation of some strongly delivered twists, strongly delivered twists which never really surfaced. I’m not saying there were no twists, this book had plenty of them, but I found them all a little dull and uninspiring. I was waiting to find them creepy, chilling, terrifying and everything of that kind but I didn’t. I’m surprised at that because I really expected to love this book. I read it in two settings and was sure that something would hit me and make me think that The Ice Twins was more than just an intriguing concept, but that’s as far as it went for me. The main twist towards the end was a bit of a letdown in my opinion. I didn’t guess it, as like a lot of this book it was unpredictable, but I had been expecting something a bit more shocking and this book could have been so much more than what it was. I didn’t mind that I had to suspend belief at times, in fact I would have taken suspending belief more if it brought some entertainment but I found it all just a little odd and lacking. There is a lot to talk about with The Ice Twins, so much more than I can say in a review where I don’t want to spoil anything. I think it would make an ideal book club pick and that everyone would differ in opinion. Personally I was left disappointed.

*Book received in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Twins.

February 4, 2015 – Started Reading
February 4, 2015 – Shelved
February 4, 2015 –
February 4, 2015 –
February 7, 2015 –
February 7, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Glynis I agree about Beanie but little else. It had me hooked from the beginning. An excellent creepy read.

Sophie Glynis wrote: "I agree about Beanie but little else. It had me hooked from the beginning. An excellent creepy read."

Well I'm glad you liked it. I found it unsatisfying but we all take books differently.

Glynis Agree, but unsatisfying......just cannot understand that.

Sophie Sophie wrote: "Glynis wrote: "I agree about Beanie but little else. It had me hooked from the beginning. An excellent creepy read."

Other than the description of the place, I didn't find it eerie or anything of the like. The twists fell flat, nothing shocked me or even grabbed my attention.

Gail I agree wholly with your review

Sophie Gail wrote: "I agree wholly with your review"

Sorry it didn't work out for you either, Gail!

message 7: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana I had such high hopes for this one & it's a gift from my twitter pal Karen so really really wanted to like this book. The story promised, but in my opinion the writing was kind of messy. Great review, Soph xx

Glynis Re reading the review and with the points you mention cannot beleve the two star rating which for me means a bad book which rhis certaintly wasnt.

Sophie Ananda wrote: "I had such high hopes for this one & it's a gift from my twitter pal Karen so really really wanted to like this book. The story promised, but in my opinion the writing was kind of messy. Great revi..."

I remember us both talking about and looking forward to this one, Ana! Wasn't to be though.

Sophie Glynis wrote: "Re reading the review and with the points you mention cannot beleve the two star rating which for me means a bad book which rhis certaintly wasnt."

I like books I rate three stars. I didn't like The Ice Twins.

Kate Ha ha !! I felt exactly the same way about the dog I feared for his life when they moved to the lighthouse cottage !!! I found the mother unbearably awful, there she is worried about her child possibly descending into psychosis and yet she sneaks off to see a child psychologist...,,, without the child !! Oh so much potential and I guess kudos for writing a book but the parents and the twins were really unlikeable. I loved Beanie the dog though

Sophie Kay Pamela wrote: "Ha ha !! I felt exactly the same way about the dog I feared for his life when they moved to the lighthouse cottage !!! I found the mother unbearably awful, there she is worried about her child poss..."

The dog was the star of the show! I cared about him so much more than anyone or anything else.

message 13: by Keri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Keri I was very disappointed with this book as well. I felt let down in almost every aspect.

Sophie Keri wrote: "I was very disappointed with this book as well. I felt let down in almost every aspect."

Me too - I was excited to read it but felt deflated so often.