Denise's Reviews > Tarnished

Tarnished by Kate Jarvik Birch

F 50x66

I'm still not over that I felt empty, in a good way, at the end of Tarnished. I mean, it couldn't end like that! Tell me there's a third book. Please.

First of all, Tarnished, with its character development and pacing, it is no doubt, much better than Perfected. I was mostly reading with my mouth gaping and furrowed brows with all the things that were happening - the pets turning up dead, the black market and others.

But I wasn't angry. I didn't hate this new look. If anything, it strengthened me. Maybe now this new girl, the one that stared back at me from the mirror, would have a fighting chance to make it back to Penn. She looked tough, and strong, and fearless.
And I wanted to be her. (ARC 408)

To my surprise, it was good to see how Ella grew as the story further progressed. If she wants to do something, she goes for it even though it's stupid and dangerous. Although I admit that I was glad that there is a development to Ella's character, I was relieved that another "pet" was with her reckless adventures that I was so sure that she would've got caught easily it if it wasn't for that "pet". Even I would get caught. Heck, I wouldn't even want to cross that border again.

I loved her. Truly. As much as I loved Penn. It was a pure and unconditional love, the same love that makes people fight to stay alive. (ARC 3686)

Ella's accomplice is my favorite character in Tarnished so far! She's realistic, strong and knows more about the world she's living in. There's much more to discover to her character and I desperately want to know it all! Who knew she would be my favorite character right now when I was crazy (I still am! Just slightly crazy.) about Penn!

As I have read the first book, I know fans would love Tarnished! Perfected ended with a lot of questions hanging and most of those has been answered in Tarnished! It is a great installment for the Perfected series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tarnished.

February 3, 2015 – Shelved