Kimm's Reviews > One Wicked Sin

One Wicked Sin by Nicola Cornick

bookshelves: first-reads

The second book in The Scandalous Women of the Ton trilogy picks up from a character I didn’t fancy much in the first story: Lottie Cummings (nee Palliser).

Lottie was (is?) spoiled and selfish. In Whisper of Scandal, she’s atrocious. Honestly, I really couldn’t find much to like about her. With friends like her, who needs enemies?

The only saving grace for me with Lottie is that I read One Wicked Sin before reading Whisper of Scandal—so I only had veiled references to her past to go on while learning about her character. Imagine my surprise when I learned her role in the first book. Egad! Had I already known that going into One Wicked Sin, I probably would not have given her the slightest of chances as a heroine.

Lottie gets around. Seriously. She is a desperately unhappy woman who sleeps with practically anyone, then finally creates such a scandal that she gets tossed out on her rear by her husband (such an unlikable character that it’s easy to see why she was miserable).
Lottie ends up ostracized by all good society and finds herself in dire straits—ultimately leading up to her decision to become a courtesan. But, she’s a bad courtesan. Then, somehow magically, a gorgeous prison of war strolls into her bedchamber and offers her a way out. Of course she takes it, after all, she’s materialistic and all about survival. She just cannot give up the good things in life and Ethan Ryder can offer them to her.

Ethan and Lottie’s relationship becomes a tug of war in terms of who can use whom the best. He’s out to gain what he needs with Lottie as a cover for secret plans and Lottie is out to gain whatever she can out before she’s tossed away. But, as in typical romance fashion, the requisite happy ending in not far away when both Ethan and Lottie find out what they truly mean to one another--despite their best efforts to avoid love.

As with her other characters, Nicola Cornick writes both Lottie and Ethan and strong figures with a sense of adventure and bravado. No schoolroom misses found in the book! And Ethan’s role as a French sympathizer is an unlikely hero. There is some treachery at play in the story and I was impressed with the underlying motives Cornick developed in the story. Very interesting reading with great historical references smattered about.

Much like Whisper of Scandal, this book is a great fit for Regency lovers who love beautiful settings and love with a bit of tragedy thrown in. Cannot wait for the final book: Mistress of Midnight!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Wicked Sin.

Started Reading