Wendy C's Reviews > Winter Falls

Winter Falls by Nicole Maggi

Winter Falls (Twin Willows Trilogy #1) by Nicole Maggi <\b>

Winter Falls (Twin Willows Trilogy #1) by Nicole Maggi <\b>tells the story of Alessia who finds out that she is part of a supernatural race called the Benandanti. The Benandanti are able to separate their souls from their bodies and then take form of an animal.

The Benandanti have a rival faction of warriors called the Malandanti. Both are trying to gain control of the seven magical sites around the world. One of these sites is at the waterfalls in Alessia’s home town of Twin Willows.

Allessia not only is dealing with the news that she can turn into a Falcon, but she also has to contend with her teenage hormones because of the new guy, Jonah that moved to town with his family. Unfortunately, Jonah’s father is working for the Guild who is Malandanti and they want to put a power plant over the waterfall in order to control the magic.

The story is somewhat predictable but was vividly told. The main characters were strong and felt real. They acted how I think a teenager would act given the situations in which they were placed.

The big problem I had with the book was the lack of information about the two factions, Benandati and Malandanti. Yes we know they are an ancient cult of warriors who souls separate from their bodies and take the form of an animal but why did they begin, why are they fighting against each other. Now grant it, all these things might be explained in the following books but I think it would have been more helpful in the beginning so you had a better understanding of the dynamics.

Despite that little hiccup, I still enjoyed the book a great deal. I think it was a fun read.

3.7 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Falls.

July 10, 2014 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
July 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading