Sara 's Reviews > Here For You

Here For You by Skylar M. Cates

bookshelves: boys-who-love-boys, arc, biob, kleenex-worthy, review-copy, romance

I just finished this story and still wrapped up in the gooey emotions it gave me. Forgive me if I just go with scattered feelings on this review, it’s all I can do right now.

I was unsure about this from the blurb, it promises that Ian and Cole keep one another at arm’s length until… “a sudden and devastating tragedy occurs, it shatters Cole's world and throws Cole and Ian together in unexpected ways. In an instant, everything between them changes forever.” I started reading and a bit of foreshadowing had me guessing at what the tragedy would be and I am a bit mad that I was right. You wanna know what else I was mad at? My damn emotions that I swore wouldn’t get the best of me as I read this. Who am I kidding, this is an emotional book and I am an emotional reader.  Though the tears came at times I least expected, when they did they came with punch and I had to pause to collect myself.

Having said all of that, let me tell you that the chemistry with Ian and Cole is off the charts. From the beginning you know that these two want one another and from Cole’s POV that we get first, you know he holds himself away from Ian and you soon learn why. While I believe in the why, I had a similar one with girlfriends, I just wanted him to not be so damn moral, throw his integrity out the window and jump into Ian’s arms. I am half serious with that but half not. What I love about Cole ARE his morals, his integrity and his fierce protectiveness over his friends and housemates.

The friends and housemates are a story all of their own; Brendan, River, Marc, Tomas and Cole have all arrived in this small beach town of Ocean Vista and though their shared rent makes them live together, these boys are fiercely devoted. So devoted that there are times where they sacrifice much of themselves to make someone else happy.
Brothers not by blood but by their own choosing, they stuck together through good and bad, like migrating birds in a vee formation who’d finally made it home.

Without going into spoilers; Cole likes Ian but won’t admit so he makes him out to be an arrogant suit in his head. Ian wants Cole and though Cole keeps running away, Ian is determined to make Cole admit the attraction. Then the tragedy happens, I thought the story would take a certain turn and thank goodness the author had other ideas and did not make this cheap. It could have gone that way but the author had this talent to weave emotions in when you are least expecting them and drag you into these men’s lives. You feel them, you understand them and you want for them to be happy. So much you want them for them to be happy and that’s what I love about reading romance. The want of the couple to get everything they deserve. Okay, enough of me waxing the book or whatever you call it. I just love this story and it’s really hard for me to talk about as I have dealt with what they boys have to deal with, the type of tragedy.

Ian… I loved being in his POV, for me it was needed and it was pure joy being in that man’s brain. Not only is he successful on his own terms, the man does not back down when he wants something. That is not to say he is pushy and arrogant, he just knows what he wants and goes for it. That kind of confidence is attractive. His thoughts on Cole; wanting him as a friend, lover and more melted me into a puddle. He is so strong and yet the moments of vulnerability are what shine through with the man. Plus, I really want to see him shoot hoops in is front yard… just saying.

What I can tell you is that I adored Ian and Cole. I would say the best thing about them was the way the acted, as adults. Sure, at times it wasn’t what I wanted, but you want to know a secret? These two talked. They talked when things got rough and they didn’t back down. A fight wasn’t the end all be all of existence, even though they felt like it was at the moment and these two talked. I loved that Ian would call Cole out on his behavior and though he is older, it never felt as if it were a parental deal. Ian is a lawyer, he is used to using his words and he wanted that back equally from Cole.
Ian had never understood the expression “losing yourself in someone” until this moment.

But these two! Ugh. They are really good together and when they let themselves BE together it’s amazing. I loved the bits of jealousy they admitted to, the date, the seagulls on the beach, the *ahem* moment in the storeroom and the tattoo parlor… Ian and Cole took me a on a wonderful, emotional and oh so romantic ride and I loved every word of it.
 “You—you’re going?”

Ian’s smile was gorgeous and bright. “Yes. I just wanted to tell you good-bye properly.”

Cole laughed. “Feel free to say good-bye to me every night.”

Ian’s smile deepened. “I’d rather keep saying hello.”

PersonalizedBannerSara

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here For You.

February 3, 2015 – Shelved
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2015 – Shelved as: boys-who-love-boys
February 20, 2015 – Started Reading
February 20, 2015 –
4.0% "Ugh. I really hope the sudden and devastating tragedy doesn't have to do with who I think it might have to do with to throw Cole and Ian together. Yikes."
February 20, 2015 –
24.0% "Ugh. I hate being right."
February 22, 2015 –
25.0% "Did not expect to tear up at that. Dammit."
February 22, 2015 –
47.0% "Stupid book. Ugh. :o("
February 22, 2015 – Finished Reading