Kristin's Reviews > To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read 2 times. Last read June 6, 2017 to June 9, 2017.

2017 reread: 4 stars

This book isn't perfect by any means. I don't always enjoy YA that much because honestly I find teenagers to be a little annoying most of the time, ha. Lara Jean is sometimes wishwashy and immature, and I'm still not sure whether I'm rooting for Peter or Josh...I'm not particularly crazy about either.

But...I still really liked this book. The writing style is good and easy to read, and the short chapters make it easy to fly through. I had a hard time putting it down! There's something sweet and charming about it, and I love, love, love the relationships between the sisters, and with their dad. It's just a really nice family dynamic. So yes. I like this despite myself. And I can't wait to read the other two books.

2015: 3.5 stars

Okay, so mixed feelings about this book. It wasn't exactly what I expected. To be honest, not a lot happens! There are little bursts of drama, but overall it's just kind of meandering. Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily. I liked Lara Jean overall...she was sweet and innocent and kind, but also a bit naïve and wishy-washy at times. I loved the relationships in the family between the three sisters and their dad.

I just didn't know where this book was going. There's sort of a love triangle, though I couldn't bring myself to root for either guy. They both had good points and not-so-good points. (view spoiler) It would always confuse me how Peter and Lara Jean were back and forth. Supposedly they were only pretending to be together because they both liked other people and were trying to save face, but then they would act too much like a real couple who actually liked each other. And that whole façade went one a lot longer than it had to...I mean, they had achieved their goal, right?

I don't mean to sound too negative because I really did enjoy this book. It was a pleasant read and though it didn't all click with me, I still liked it and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

P.S. Another good thing about this one is that it's actually pretty clean for YA. There is some scattered profanity but nothing too awful (except one f-word). There's a bit of inappropriate content, but overall it was relatively clean.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

February 3, 2015 – Shelved