Anne's Reviews > The Betrayal

The Betrayal by Helen Dunmore

Despite the Booker long-listing, or maybe because of it, I approached this one with some trepidation. I've never read any Helen Dunmore, and I remember being put off by a review of Mourning Ruby that called it "like a Russian doll" - too literary for me, I thought, and I've never touched her stuff since. So I pick this one up, and then find it's a sequel to The Siege, which I haven't read - but don't be put off by that, I wasn't, and it worked perfectly as a stand-alone. And I now have a new author to add to my list of favourites and acquire the entire back catalogue - this book was quite superb.

Set in 1950s Leningrad, in the last days of Lenin, we encounter Andrei the paediatric doctor, his wife Anna who works in a kindergarten and Anna's young brother Kolya. These are good people in a loving household, and against the extraordinary tension and oppression of the last days of Lenin we watch them doing the ordinary things of life - weekends at the dacha, eking out the food, arguing with neighbours, meeting friends, dressing for a dance. When Andrei finds himself leading the hospital treatment of the dying son of Volkov, a chief of the secret police, the world comes crashing down in a way that makes you want to do something about the unjustness of it .

The characterisation is superb, major and minor characters alike - even Volkov, whose anger, fear and irrationality can almost be understood. The tension throughout the book is palpable - this is a world unlike anything we'll ever know, cold for reasons other than the ubiquitous snow, where no-one can be trusted and freedom's an illusion. And it's a truly excellent read - the author has a lovely flowing poetic style (in a good way) that makes you want to read on. And although The Betrayal paints a vivid picture of the political scene, this is a really touching personal and emotional story about ordinary individuals who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal.

August 27, 2010 – Shelved
August 29, 2010 – Started Reading
August 30, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Good review, Annie. I also thought it sounded too literary and now sounds better than I thought.

Anne Not literary at all Caroline and a lovely surprise - passing it on to Anne when we meet up at Manchester in Sept, so I'm sure it'll come your way in due course!

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Thanks for that Annie - I enjoyed The Siege (although not as multi-layered as The Bronze Horseman) so will look out for this one now - after such an excellent review who would not want to read it!