Jill's Reviews > Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver

Aug 26, 2010

it was ok
Recommended to Jill by: Caudill 2009 list
Recommended for: people who like adventure type stories

Two stars is perfect for this book, because it was just okay for me!

This was on the 2009 Caudill list. I skipped it, along with The Lightning Thief, because I thought both of them sounded stupid. I will never forgive myself for skipping The Lightning Thief but I will definitely forgive myself for skipping this bad boy.

This book was about a boy who is trying to destroy a demon bear and please the World Spirit while accompanying a wolf cub who is his guide....... It was a fine book. It was a well-researched book and I could tell that the author was very passionate about the subject matter - good for her. Sadly, I was completely uninterested in the subject matter. I'm really into historical fiction, but Stone Age historical fiction just does not trip my trigger. I find it boring...

Anyway, it was a fast-moving book although it did not hook me. She changed perspective kind of randomly (from the boy to the wolf and sometimes to the girl they were with). I think it would've worked better if she would've changed chapters when the perspective changed. The ending was exciting although I still don't really get it... Also, one of the Clan elder people told a story about Soul-Eaters, which was kind of lost on me. The Soul-Eater story did remind of Dementors, though, which made me want to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

It was a survival/adventure story. I'd recommend Alabama Moon instead, which I really want to read again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Brother.

August 26, 2010 – Shelved
September 2, 2010 – Started Reading
September 4, 2010 –
page 50
16.95% "This book is boring."
September 8, 2010 –
page 140
47.46% "I don't hate this anymore. It's still not really my style but at least it is pretty fast-moving."
September 9, 2010 – Finished Reading