Adrienn Reads's Reviews > The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

bookshelves: middle-grade

This beautiful historical fiction book based on the remarkable story of Ivan, the Shopping Mall Gorilla is a wonderful read. For the past two years I've read this book with fourth grade literature circles and follow up with true facts, videos and books about the real Ivan. I never tell the kids before we begin the book that there was actually a real life gorilla named Ivan that lived in a shopping mall for 27 years...it is so fun to see their faces when I tell them after we read the book! They love seeing pictures and video of him in his cement walled cage...but love it even more when I show them video of him after he was moved to Zoo Atlanta and experienced grass and fresh air and sunshine for the first time in 27 years. A great book that will be remembered forever is a book that makes you FEEL...and this book definately makes you FEEL! Love LOVE loved it! And I still love it everytime I read it! (I've just started it with a new group-this will be my seventh time reading it!-and that's counting the time I read it with my own daughter last summer)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One and Only Ivan.

February 1, 2015 – Shelved