Emily's Reviews > A Fistful of Rice: My Unexpected Quest to End Poverty Through Profitability

A Fistful of Rice by Vikram Akula

Aug 26, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2011

Very quick read about the author's start-up microfinance company in India. His company is different than most (all?) in that it is for-profit. He defended his position well, explaining that for-profit brings in more investors, meaning more capital, more loans, and more people they can reach. His business model is obviously a successful one, proven in its unmatched, rapid growth (700 members in 2000 to 8 million today, and growing). I was more interested in the results of his business than the business model, so the last chapter was my favorite. It showed all the social good that has come from this company. I was impressed with its massive influence and I am glad that his goal is to expand worldwide. I know he will continue doing much good in fighting poverty. On a side note, as with Greg Mortenson, it always makes me a bit sad that people who have a strong passion to do humanitarian work, many times have to live unbalanced lives to meet their goals (and their personal lives suffer).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fistful of Rice.