Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code

The Riddle of the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox

Feb 01, 2015

bookshelves: history, language, leisure, mystery, non-fic, nook, scholarly, women, victorian

So, there are people out there who might not think that a book about decoding an ancient language could be exciting. Those people are wrong! If you think that in itself does sound exciting, then this book will blow your mind. Fox writes in the popular "narrative non-fiction" style to describe the efforts taken to decode the Linear B tablets found at Knossos. I didn't know that much about this subject beforehand, and the book is written like a mystery so I was really excited to read more to find out what happened!

Apparently, one guy gets all the credit for deciphering the language, but this book aims to tell the story of one of the unsung heroes, a woman who laid a lot of the groundwork but died before she could finish solving the puzzle. If you are at all into languages/linguistics, this book will probably be crack to you.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the book wasn't technical enough. It's obviously written for a general audience in a style that assumes no knowledge of the outcome, which is good, but I kinda wish there was more of the nitty-gritty stuff. I guess there are other books for that, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riddle of the Labyrinth.

February 1, 2015 – Started Reading