Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

Feb 01, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: audio

I had pretty high expectations for this book, after seeing a number of five star reviews, but it just didn't blow me away. It was thought-provoking, and certainly should stir some discussion in our book club this month. This is a drama about a family struggling with a number of issues...half Caucasian, half Asian kids growing up in a midwestern town in the 70's, fitting in, being popular, being smart, and parents living out their dreams through their children. It is heartbreaking, and as a parent made me stop and think about the pressures and expectations put upon our children. Beyond that though I had some issues that just didn't sit right with me. I grew up in a small town in the midwest, and there were Asian kids in our community. My uncle married a Japanese woman. Agreed I was young, but I never noticed there being a stigma attached to any of this, as it might have been with blacks. But all the troubles in this book hinged on this "mixed" union. I really couldn't stand the parents, and while I don't need to like all the characters in a book, it prevented me from really connecting to them. The book is also very heavy and doesn't offer much light except maybe at the very end. It was very hard to want to pick it up.

The narrator for this audio was Cassandra Campbell, who always does a great job at books like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

February 1, 2015 – Started Reading
February 1, 2015 – Shelved
February 1, 2015 – Shelved as: audio
February 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Jenny I agree with you.. The book was just okay. But I will say as a half Asian person myself that there is a lot of subtle stuff to where I could totally and completely identify with that part.

JoAnn Although I hated the parents too, the book was a favorite last year. Sorry it wasn't as big a winner for you.