Emily's Reviews > I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson

Aug 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: top-100-chick-lit, chick-lit, reviewed
Read in June, 2011

Kate Reddy is a hedge-fund manager and a mother of two kids under 10. What nobody, even Kate, seems to know is how Kate manages to balance the two. Having time for her kids and their activities and being a hedge fund manager in a mans world. The book follows Kate with her trying to find the balance with her family and work and figuring out what she really wants out of her life.

This is another one of the top 100 chick lit books. I am not sure if I feel that it belongs on the list, but it wasn't a bad read. Parts of the book were kind of slow for me, could be due to that it is really Mommy Lit and that I couldn't relate to as much as other books. There were moments in the plot where if I was Kate's friend I would have been like really come on and needed to knock some kind of sense into her. She never had time to meet with friends though so guess that wouldn't happen. There were moments where Kate seemed really human and relatable. It was almost like she was two different people at times in the book. She did grow and change alot through the book and was a very different person at the start and end of book, so there was growth.

I would say it was a book to read if you read the genre, but not a first book in the genre to read or a good introduction.
E

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Know How She Does It.