Spunky N Sassy's Reviews > Gabriel's Daughters

Jan 31, 2015

bookshelves: 4-star, 5-star

Sweet N Sassy Book A Holics Rating: 4.33

~~~~~~~~~~Dee's ★★★★✰ Review~~~~~~~~~~

Here we have a look into Polygamy and how it affects the lives of sisters raised in that environment. When we first meet Zina, she is sweet, kind, modest, hard working and very naive as a sixteen year old student totally unfamiliar with the ways of the outside world. People pass through her life leaving their mark upon her heart and soul. When bad things happen, she doesn't bitch, fight or accuse, she just takes a deep breath and deals with the issues in that moment. One can see Karma at work in her life because of her forgiving nature in spite of injustices against her. What you send out returns tenfold. Blessings flow in abundance, deepest desires are fulfilled and redemption is received. This book presents a pleasant inside look at the issues a woman's heart must deal with in a polygamy situation. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review. Four Stars.

~~~~~~~~~~Doris's ★★★★★ Review~~~~~~~~~~

A wonderfully, heartwarming story of a young girl trying to find herself. Zina is part of a polygamous family. She has three mother's and one father. They are a very strict family, however she is able to attend the Gentile high school. Her dream is to be an artist and she is extremely talented. In school she meets an attractive teacher who takes advantage of her naivety. Afraid to face her family, she runs away. She is only sixteen years old.

A story with so much detail and knowledge of two religions. One a fundamental branch that had broken off from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is not a part of the LDS church. They practice polygamy. Zina is torn between two worlds. The modern world and the simple world she grew up in. Will she survive running into the unknown?

Can she adjust in a world she has never been a part of. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review. I give this book 5 Stars!

~~~~~~~~~~Zarah's ★★★★✰ Review~~~~~~~~~~

Something very different

I was captivated and curious by the synopsis and was not disappointed, What an incredible story and it is a credit to the author who had obviously done her research very well.

The story looks at the poly-amorous Martin family of Gabriel's Landing and how they try to maintain the old ways in a modern world while being dictated to by the 'Brotherhood' and non-compliance resulting in excommunication. While I know a little of the history of the Mormons and the LDS Church, this story was an amazing insight into some of the things you just don't realise.

I couldn't imagine being a young girl and being forced into marriage with a much older man decided by a council and being a 'sister wife', the oppression of it is unfathomable!

Zina, that rather than marry someone she has no interest in and not to bring shame to her family decides to run away and finds herself alone in the big bad modern world. Luckily for her, over the course of her journey, she meets up with some really good people who accept her for who she is and help her accustom herself to how the real world actually is. Not that it is always nice or pretty for her. It is lovely to see her transform. I worry about what could have happened to her had she not met the people she did. And from her background with such strong opinions on the bible teachings, she is the most un-judgemental person you could ever hope to meet - what an absolute sweet heart!

While most people don't like authors swapping characters through out their stories - it works so well in this book and gives a good all rounded perspective for most of the main characters.

And you heart will break for her father. Realizing the mistakes he has made with his daughter who has been missing for so long, he tries so hard to hold onto his beliefs while trying to understand the younger generations need for more than what their religion has to offer. That said, his multiple marriages worked for him and his family and there was obvious mutual affections and love between all the parties.

This was an amazingly different read - I highly recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabriel's Daughters.

January 31, 2015 – Shelved