Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Jan 31, 2015

bookshelves: own

6/29/16 UPDATE: I have since watched the movie and although I really liked the movie, it doesn't hold a candle to the book. But you can imagine that a book this size can't be put into one movie sitting. And where the book made me cry a lot, the movie didn't.

I spent over 12 hours today finishing this book. 1037 pages! 1. Because I wanted to know what was going to happen! 2. I have no sort of life so I can do this from time to time.

I can not believe it took me so long to read this book! I didn't think it would be my kind of book and I have never watched the movie <---I did order the blu-ray on Amazon today because I have to see it soon! I must say that GOODREADS has been a blessing and a curse in this department. I have broadened my horizons since being on GOODREADS from reading books my friends are reading or have read and this is one of them. I would have missed out on this book!

This book has so many feels for me:
Disgust
Sadness
Rage
Shock

I invested so much into so many characters. So many characters that died, that I loved... ones that didn't even have much of a role in the story, I loved them. I thought this was just a love story around the war, but it's so much more. Dear God, Margaret Mitchell knew how to write a book about it all. No holds barred!

I have to make a small mention that I was born in Tennessee and it was so weird reading a bit part about Chattanooga (where I live now) in the book. I guess the biggest part was reading about the battle at Chickamauga, GA. I live 20 minutes from the Chickamauga Battlefield in Ga and used to hike it for many years with my dog and my father until things in my life went wrong. I have to say it's a most beautiful place with all of the land, wildlife, monuments, store, a lot of things. It's a lot nicer now that I would think back then during the war.

I had this love/hate relationship with Scarlett. I thought she was a spoiled, selfish person and the way she treated people and her own children were appalling. I loved that she was a crude business woman and just got it done. One of her slaves named Pork (who I loved) told her if she was as nice to white people as she was to black folk that the world might like her. But Scarlett didn't care, she said what she wanted and did what she wanted.

She didn't want to take care of Melanie when the soldiers were coming. She hated Melanie because she was married to Ashley, the man she always wanted. It was off the rails with all of that with him. Scarlet jumped right on the crazy train with that one and it cost her in the end. But Scarlet stayed with Melanie when she had her baby and got her to safety at Scarlett's home Tara. She took care of everyone in the family.. say what you want.. but -SHE.DID.NOT.LET.THEM.STARVE.

--->EXCERPT<---

Hunger gnawed at her empty stomach again and she said aloud: "As God is my witness, as God is my witness, the Yankees aren't going to lick me. I'm going to live through this, and when it's over, I'm never going to be hungry again. No, nor any of my folks. If I have to steal or kill--as God is my witness, I'm never going to be hungry again."

Scarlett hated every moment of taking care of her family. Of worrying about others, but she did it. In a war that was senseless.

Margaret Mitchell told everything like it is, laid it out bare for us to cringe and hate and cry. So many things were so wrong, but it was what it was...

My favorite character was Melanie. She was such a kind soul, but she had her moments when she got her backbone on and told people like it was, and they respected her because of this kindness. She was married to Ashley and I thought she was going to die in childbirth but she lived through it. It wasn't her time yet.

I loved Scarlett's dad a lot - Gerald O'Hara. This is where Scarlett got her temper. But he was a funny man, a good man to his family and people and animals. I loved Mrs. Tarleton, Grandma Fontaine, Mammy, Uncle Peter.. there are so many I can't even name them all and like I said before some were only in the book a few times.

Scarlett married twice and had two children. She didn't care for children and she didn't care for her husbands, she just did what she did to get what she needed.

I had a love/hate relationship with Rhett too. Back in those days it was okay but he was a way older man taking up or trying to take up with a younger girl in Scarlett. But it wasn't just that he just got on my nerves with is comings and goings. I think if he really loved Scarlett for that long he should have told her and wooed her and then maybe things would have turned out differently. I have no idea.

Scarlett did have a child with Rhett as well. Things were all good in the home for a while and then things went way down hill....... It was sad to read, hard to read. I wish the ending was different, but it wasn't. It was an extremely sad ending for two different reasons and I won't give those away. I know most people have probably read the book or watched the movie a million times and already know but still. I cried and cried! :-(

This is a tremendously heartbreaking book, but I'm so, so glad that I read it!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

Quotes Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Liked

Margaret Mitchell
“After all, tomorrow is another day!”

Margaret Mitchell
“Perhaps - I want the old days back again and they'll never come back, and I am haunted by the memory of them and of the world falling about my ears. ”
tags: life

Margaret Mitchell
“Hardships make or break people.”

January 31, 2015 – Shelved
June 21, 2016 –
page 61
June 21, 2016 –
page 100
9.64% "So far I'm still liking it :-)"
June 24, 2016 –
page 113
10.9% "Scarlet is acting a fool over Ashley! \n \n Okay, night night ❤"
page 160
15.43% "I can't get much reading in because I keep falling asleep !! Don't know what's wrong with me!!"
page 209
20.15% "Scarlett's dad Gerald cracks me up! When he's drunk and singing for all he's worth for all to hear in the middle of the night. Lol"
page 252
24.3% "Night night sweet peas :-) ❤ \n \n Didn't want to put it down just yet but my eyes are closing!"
June 26, 2016 –
page 500
48.22% "This book is so sad :-("
June 26, 2016 –
page 703
67.79% "Good Lord, I never liked Suellen, but I really can't stand her now!!"
June 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ally (new) - added it

Ally (The Scribbling Sprite) You read this one fast! I might try and read this one this summer. Practically all my GR friends gave it high ratings.

Brina Wow you read fast. My librarian told me to savor it so I'm going for 100 pages a day and finishing by the end of the week.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Ally wrote: "You read this one fast! I might try and read this one this summer. Practically all my GR friends gave it high ratings."

I hope you enjoy it too. It's good and rough!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Brina wrote: "Wow you read fast. My librarian told me to savor it so I'm going for 100 pages a day and finishing by the end of the week."

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and didn't 0_0

Brina My kids are on summer break so it's go go go all day. I make it mandatory to read 1 hr a day for everyone plus I read an hour at night. If I get those 2 hours in I should read 100 pages a day and finish in a week. I have loved the first 40% they just left Atlanta for Tara.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I have medical issues and home bound. I'm divorced with no kids by choice. Just me and my dog and other family so I have time if I'm feeling up to reading that much. I just had to keep going. I had to know how it ended and now I'm sad. That's all I will say. And have a book hangover :-(

Brina You have definitely made the best of your situation. I'm trying to think of another thousand page book you can start to remedy your hangover ;)

Navidad Thelamour I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVEE this book! I've read it at least twice--maybe 3 times?--and it never gets old. A true classic! I'm so glad you liked it Melissa! :)

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review Melissa!

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* I haven't read the book but I love the movie. Vivien Leigh IS Scarlett O'Hara!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Brina wrote: "You have definitely made the best of your situation. I'm trying to think of another thousand page book you can start to remedy your hangover ;)"

Noooo, I have a bunch lined up. Not 1000 page. Oh my next time is going to be The Count of Monte Cristo :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Stephanie wrote: "Awesome review!! Glad you loved it!! The movie is also fantastic!!!!"

Thank you so much sweetheart. I sat the book down today and ordered the blu Ray from Amazon. Then picked the book back up!! I got the movie for $9 and some change and it will be here Tuesday! Yay! I can cry more :-(

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Navidad wrote: "I LOOOOOOOVVVVVVEE this book! I've read it at least twice--maybe 3 times?--and it never gets old. A true classic! I'm so glad you liked it Melissa! :)"

Thank you so much! I never knew and I'm so glad I finally read it :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Heather *live on coffee and flowers* wrote: "I haven't read the book but I love the movie. Vivien Leigh IS Scarlett O'Hara!"

I never watched the movie but I will Tuesday :-).

Linda Read this a long time ago...... have watched the movie so many times.... I never tire of this wonderful story, need to re-read It sometime. Loved your re iow!

Linda That's review, lol

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you so much! :-). I'm so excited to watch the movie for the first time and see what I recognize from the book. A friend told me the movie is long too :-)

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Campbell I love that book! Now I need to read it again. :)

message 19: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Such a beautiful review, Melissa! :)

message 20: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Jun 26, 2016 07:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin @ Kim You should :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Pearl wrote: "Such a beautiful review, Melissa! :)"

Thank you so much sweet Pearl. It broke my heart! :-(

Carol Excellent review Melissa! Just wait until you see the movie!!!!!!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you so much Carol :-). I can't wait for the movie. It gets here Tuesday. Woot!!

Paula W Great review! I feel like you hit the nail on the head with Scarlet. She is spoiled and awful, but damn did she pull it together when she had to. That woman was made with bones of steel surrounded by tissue of fluff. I think you will love the movie. The actors are exactly as you have imagined the characters in your head. I re-watch that movie at least once a year and it is in my top 5 favorites of all time.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you, Paula!! I love how the author wrote Scarlett. She was selfish, like a lot of people are, but she was fierce in the things she had to do. And a woman in that era too!!

I was actually waiting for Netflix to send the movie and I canceled that and got the blu Ray today on Amazon. It's a great price right now and the more I read the more I just had to see the movie!

Paula W Melissa wrote: "Thank you, Paula!! I love how the author wrote Scarlett. She was selfish, like a lot of people are, but she was fierce in the things she had to do. And a woman in that era too!!

I was actually wa..."

I own it. Bought it for $10 on Amazon Prime Video and I can watch it whenever I want. Highly recommended.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. Great review. Like you, I waited forever to read this book - I owned it as a teen and got rid of it unread - finally read in my thirties and WOW. One of my favorite books ever. This book encompasses so much of life and it takes so many daring roles in it. The characters are rarely seen in any medium since - the author took a lot of courage to write how she did with the unusual personalities. The relationship between Rhett and Scarlett was so layered psychologically that it can't even be summed up well in words or writing - it was so genuine and intense.

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

message 29: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary My ALL TIME FAVORITE novel!!! I read it in 8th grade and twice more afterwards. I've seen the movie so many times I can recite the movie verbatim. I am always amazed and awed when someone has just discovered this brilliant book. I wish I could experience the initial first wonder of falling in love with GWTW. I was captivated as a young girl. As an adult, I still watch it once a year. Recently bought it on blue ray so, I look forward to watching this once again. When you finally watch this book come alive as a movie, well, it will just take your breath away. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

My favorite character was Scarlett and she is also my favorite female literary character. Yes! She's quite naughty at times but she's fearless, bold, and a lady I'd want on my side in a catastrophe. ;)

And sweet, huggable Mammie!! Oh! I love her!!!

Now look what you've done! I'll have to watch GWTW this week, a sign that you've written a fabulous review. Well done!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Paula wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Thank you, Paula!! I love how the author wrote Scarlett. She was selfish, like a lot of people are, but she was fierce in the things she had to do. And a woman in that era too!!

I..."

I have the blu Ray in the way :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Jessica's wrote: "Awesome review sweetie :)"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Mary wrote: "My ALL TIME FAVORITE novel!!! I read it in 8th grade and twice more afterwards. I've seen the movie so many times I can recite the movie verbatim. I am always amazed and awed when someone has just ..."

Thank you so very much :-). I can't wait to watch the movie this week :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. Great review. Like you, I waited forever to read this book - I owned it as a teen and got rid of it unread - finally read in my thirties and WOW. One of my favor..."

Thank you hon :-) I so thought I would never like this book and I was wrong on so many levels. Everything you said is so true!

message 34: by Loretta (last edited Jun 27, 2016 05:19AM) (new)

Loretta Excellent review Melissa! You're going to LOVE ❤ the movie!! Enjoy!!! :)

message 35: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Beautiful review. I have watched the movie countless times but have never read the story. I even own a hard back vintage copy. It's probably time I picked it up. I hope that you enjoy the movie also.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Loretta wrote: "Excellent review Melissa! You're going to LOVE ❤ the movie!! Enjoy!!! :)"

Thank you hon :-) I'm so excited!! Tomorrow is a date with me and the movie. Unless it gets here late and then it will be Wednesday :-/

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin PorshaJo wrote: "Beautiful review. I have watched the movie countless times but have never read the story. I even own a hard back vintage copy. It's probably time I picked it up. I hope that you enjoy the movie also."

Thank you so much! I really hope to love the movie. I think I will just from the book. You should read yours :-)

message 38: by Jo (new)

Jo Fabulous review, Melissa!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you so much hon ❤

message 40: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne I need to read this tomorrow. Can't wait. I answered an assessment question wrong in relation to this recently! I should just read it, right Mel?!

message 41: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim now u need to read SCARLETT and RHETT BUTLER'S PEOPLE both are good

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Suzanne wrote: "I need to read this tomorrow. Can't wait. I answered an assessment question wrong in relation to this recently! I should just read it, right Mel?!"

Yep, you need to read it. And be ready for many feels :-) ❤

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Kim wrote: "now u need to read SCARLETT and RHETT BUTLER'S PEOPLE both are good"

I was thinking about it. I was hoping they were written by the same author but they are not :-/

message 44: by P (new)

P Haven't got a chance to read this book. Great review, Melissa !

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you so much hon :-). I hope you get to read it soon!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review Melissa! Love the pics! I have never read this book.Everyone raves about it and Ivwill probably read it next month. Its a done deal after reading your review.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you so much Mary :-). I do hope you enjoy it. There are many rough times but it's sooo good!

message 48: by Ellen Gail (new) - added it

Ellen Gail Great review dear! Hope you love the movie just as much! =)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you hon bun :-)

message 50: by Loretta (new)

Loretta Let us know your thoughts on the movie Melissa after you've watched it! :)

« previous 1